Moisture-proofing Chimney Box Wall Penetration - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moisture-proofing chimney box wall penetration

Hello,

I'm looking to mount an antenna mast to the side of my chimney, and run the antenna wires inside to connection points in the attic.

The "chimney" on my house is simply a plywood box with a metal cap on top and a stovepipe running up the middle of it. The outside of the chimney has the same vinyl siding as the upper section of the house. Since it's not a hard-masonry chimney, I can't use the wraparound metal strap antenna mounts that are made for chimneys.

What I'd like to do is reinforce the inside of one wall of the chimney box with some extra lumber, and then attach wall mounts to the side of the chimney with bolts that penetrate to the inside of the box. I would have to drill through the siding to do this. Additionally, I'd like to cut a larger hole for a 1-2" piece of conduit for running antenna wires from the attic out onto the roof and up to the antenna.

What concerns me is how to waterproof the places where I'd be cutting through the vinyl siding, especially for the conduit. What I'm wanting to do up there isn't worth roof rot. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

Advertisement

faithmyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to mount an antenna mast to the side of my chimney, and run the antenna wires inside to connection points in the attic.

The "chimney" on my house is simply a plywood box with a metal cap on top and a stovepipe running up the middle of it. The outside of the chimney has the same vinyl siding as the upper section of the house. Since it's not a hard-masonry chimney, I can't use the wraparound metal strap antenna mounts that are made for chimneys.

What I'd like to do is reinforce the inside of one wall of the chimney box with some extra lumber, and then attach wall mounts to the side of the chimney with bolts that penetrate to the inside of the box. I would have to drill through the siding to do this. Additionally, I'd like to cut a larger hole for a 1-2" piece of conduit for running antenna wires from the attic out onto the roof and up to the antenna.

What concerns me is how to waterproof the places where I'd be cutting through the vinyl siding, especially for the conduit. What I'm wanting to do up there isn't worth roof rot. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh
why do you need to put on chimney / change to sky this will give new digital and more programmes televisions are on there way out plasma/lcd hdmi would not waste time or money on an outside ariel. but put steel angle iron down each corner spreading the pressure you can bolt plate strips corner to corner or weld then attache the band type ariel pole at no time would you need to bolt through the chimmey .. hope it helps regards mike. ps remember to paint any steelwork with at least 3 coats of metal paint prior to fitting ..also plastic strip between metal and chimney trimmed to finish..

Advertisement

custom_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom_co View Post
televisions are on there way out plasma/lcd hdmi would not waste time or money on an outside ariel.
I didn't say it was for a television aerial. It will actually be for a two-way radio base station.

Quote:
but put steel angle iron down each corner spreading the pressure you can bolt plate strips corner to corner or weld then attache the band type ariel pole
Now that's a pretty cool idea. Thanks! Although I'm still left with the problem of how to get the cables through the roof. I could go off the roof and in under the eaves, but long antenna cable runs aren't so great for a two-way radio setup. That much extra cable would be significantly more expensive, too.

Thanks,
Josh
faithmyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
I didn't say it was for a television aerial. It will actually be for a two-way radio base station.

Now that's a pretty cool idea. Thanks! Although I'm still left with the problem of how to get the cables through the roof. I could go off the roof and in under the eaves, but long antenna cable runs aren't so great for a two-way radio setup. That much extra cable would be significantly more expensive, too.

Thanks,
Josh
right radio.. is your chimney just a duct (box) if so the heater duct in my house is full of electric cables waste pipe water pipes ariel hdmi scart you name it so if you drill a hole in the side of chimney lower cable down seal with silicon / after application wet your finger smooth round for a nice finish regards mike p.s. do not damage the duct some gas ducts are galvinised steel some are like silver paper. i,m guessing that ,s what it is .. the other option is run it down the wall if its brick , hammer drill through with a long bit you can do it inside to outside just like sky installers or telephone engineers once again seal with silicon there is amps available to boost signal strength . remember any corners taken tie the cable bit of soft material under the cable . wind rubs the cable damaging it then your running round like a headless chicken trying to kick the dog when things go wrong / and of coarse the wife already buried out the back. oh, when you drill the wall make sure no electric cable behind the wall use a cable finder then keep your fingers crossed , my mate put 4 nails in a wall found a gas pipe and two electric cables, all the best..maybe a tv ariel booster would boost radio signal as as it boosts both pic. and sound prior to separation in tv. never tried it but it would not harm to try / someone might pop in a shillings worth on that subject. or
custom_co is offline   Reply With Quote