Moisture In My Attic - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

moisture in my attic

hi- i just had a new roof put on & reinsulated my attic. this winter i have leaks in my drop ceiling in 1 bedroom & tha bathroom. my contractor tells me its condensation because its been so cold & that because i have a drop ceiling, i'm loosing heat. anyone know if thers any fixes for this? he says the only way to fix it is to put up sheet rock

Advertisement

mnalberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

moisture in my attic

What type of attic ventilation do you have. And escaping moisture in your attic should be vented. When they installed the new roof, did they add a ridge vent. One fix you can do easily is add a powered attic vent.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #3

moisture in my attic

they did install a roof vent- the 1 contractor actually went up and said there's enough circulation of air. so i'm baffelled
Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

moisture in my attic

do you have a vapor barrier on top of this dropped ceiling and under the attic insulation?
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

moisture in my attic

any new insulation installed needee to be unfaced,or there would be condensation problems from that,and do you have an exterior exhaust vent for the bathroom fan,that happens all the time with bathrooms that don`t have the external exhaust because the fan is just dumping hot air into the attic,where it condenses against the plywood

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #6

moisture in my attic

the first original insulation was papered- they put that on the drop ceiling for the vapor barrier. the new insulation that i added was unfaced.
for the bathroom ventilation i have just a regular fan in the bathroom. the original owner of the house never installed a bathroom fan. so, no exhaust is going into the attic. part of the leak is also in 1 of the bedrooms-
Old 01-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

moisture in my attic

ATTIC VENTILATION IS A SCIENCE THAT IS UNIQUE TO EACH BUILDING. THERE IS NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL SOLUNTION. Please provide a picture of your house and aproximate square footage. What type of ventilation do you currently have? Do you have an intake? Did they overinsulate and block the intake? What type of ventilation did you have before the new roof? Did you actually change out the old insulation or install new over old? What is the new R value? What city is the building in? Do you have kitchen and/or bathroom fans, if so where do they vent? What % is your humidistat set at on your furnace? Do you use humidifiers in your house?

No advice can be considered sound until we have these details. For example I wouldn't usually ridge vent a hip style roof, and definetly wouldn't ridge vent if there were no intake. Also I wouldn't mix an attic fan with a ridge vent as this is a big no no, and can actually cause more harm than good.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

moisture in my attic

Justa follow up, you said you added a fan. Where does it ventiate? INTO the attic? That's bad, very very bad. Does it physically have a hose or duct of some kind connecting the fan to a dedicated baffled exhaust vent? Not a typical mushroom vent, but a baffled kitchen or bathroom vent. This might be a major contributor to your problem. Please answer some of my questions above and I'll see if I can offer any help.

One other question, how did the contractor determine there was good air flow, and was the attic hatch open at that time? If the attic hatch was opened, you actually create a wind tunnel and there is a major movement of air from the inside into the attic and it makes it appear there is great air flow, when indeed you don't know for sure until you close the hatch cover. And finally he could just be lyeing to you to cover his butt

Advertisement

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote