Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Missing shingle

Hi.
It's been really windy here the past few days and I noticed that a shingle has come off my roof. Literally one shingle. I know that this will only get worse, but at this point, is one shingle really something to worry about?

mathman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #2

Missing shingle

Not if you care if the roof leaks or not.
Any shingle or even a missing tab on a three tab shingle needs attention asap.
A spare shingle, flat bar, hammer, and 4 nails is all it takes.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mathman32 (05-07-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

Missing shingle

A missing tab will allow updrafts to take your roof off single shingles or entire sections with enough of a gust.

It is something that demands attention a.s.a.p.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (05-06-2012), mathman32 (05-07-2012), Ravenworks (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Missing shingle

I have a couple of random nails sitting around. Does it have to be a specific type of nail or can I use what I have?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #5

Missing shingle

Do you also have a spare shingle? And yes it does unfortunately matter what kind of nail you use. Luckily you can buy roofing nails at any home center or hardware store.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

Missing shingle

Luckily, the shingle has not come completely off. Just folded over. I will get the correct nails then. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
RFN-4A-LVN

Missing shingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathman32 View Post
Luckily, the shingle has not come completely off. Just folded over. I will get the correct nails then. Thank you!
It sounds as if that tab is the weak link in your "Complete" roof system.Just because the tab is intact does not mean that it is functioning properly.

When a shingle,,,whether it be a tab or an entire shingle is blown off and the tab or shingle has been nailed properly in the area designated by the manufacture then that is legitimate wind damage.

Insurance companies have really tightened up the restrictions in regards to wind damage.In Missouri in the past when a shingle or entire roof system was blown off then it was declared wind damage.

A couple years ago in Springfield and other areas of the Ozarks a building boom was going on.(As I am sure it is the same elsewhere.)But anyway roofers where installing roof systems in the frigid temps.Now sub zero roofing happens all the time but when roofing in sub zero temps certain methods and techniques HAVE to be used during installation.

Well,these methods were not utilized and the result was blow thru's.Blow thru's are when the material is severely cold and the air pressure in the gun is set too high.The fastener will be improperly seated.The high pressure will blow the fastener and head completely thru the shingle fastening nothing.

The following season the spring severe storms removed many of these roofs also resulting in major wind claims.After getting so many wind damage claims the S.W Missouri insurers headed by State Farm set requirements on wind damage after investigating these "Wind Claims".

Creases in the shingles,particals of the blow offs still under the fastener head that is still attached to the roof,proper nail patterns as well as recorded sustained winds,Micro Bursts,Straight line winds as well as other types of high velocity winds by NOAA that exceed the materials wind capabilities was now the new classifications for legitimate "Wind Damage",,,And rightfully so IMO.

But unfortunately a single tab is hardly worth filing an insurance claim.I am pretty long winded tonight (No pun intended),,so a long story short,,,hahahaha,,,I know too late,,,but it is important to pull that entire shingle and replace it with a new one.Re-fastnenig a creased shingle is pointless.Replace the entire shingle.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-07-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #8

Missing shingle

To get it in your going to have to remove the nails in the damaged shingle and the ones in the shingle above it.
Using a flat bar in a back and forth motion you can break the seal holding down the tabs so the they can be lifted to get at them. Be carefull when lifting the taps so you do not break them.
Once the damaged ones out, nail that one first and work your way up nailing the one above it. DO not nail into the same holes the nails came out of. Move over about 1".

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote