Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #1

Share |

Mid roof smart vents on older home. Need advice

I have talked with a company about a new roof on a 1940 home in the southeast with overhang and exposed rafters and only gable vents. The roofer has proposed Smart Vent in a midroof application. Apparently he has installed these on newer roofs but has never done so on an older home in this fashion and knows of no example in my area for me to see. I was not sure that this would look ok. I did find one photo in which the slight ridge does not seem too unsightly but it definitely is a few feet from the edge of the roof.
My first question is for those who have seen this? Is it obtrusive?
Secondly, should I be concerned that he has no experience with the midroof installation? The company website indicates that there is great similarity.
House has about ft of heated area, is one story.

infohound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Metal Roofing

I removed my useless first post after finding the info via google.

I answered my own question...they actually have a Mid roof product. Your guy seems to know what he is talking about.

http://www.dciproducts.com/html/midroof.htm

Here is the Cor A Vent Roofnron refers to below also:

http://www.cor-a-vent.com/raft-a-vent-rs-400.cfm

As far as the mid roof product installation i would also be concerned about the look.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 07-19-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Oh that "smart vent"
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #3

I think it is great you found a roofer that identified the need for intake ventilation. I have installed a lot of smart vent myself but never "midroof." I am assuming by "midroof" you mean high enough to let air in the attic but at close to the eave as possible. I would also be greatly concerned about the appearance as well. You could slide a couple of pieces under your old shingles now about where they would be installed so you could get a better idea of what it would look like on your house. This would be very easy to do.

I wouldn't worry about the contractor not having experience with "midroof" if he had installed in a normal application. These are pretty easy to install.

Another option could be Cor-A-Vent's Raft-A-Vent. Might be a lot of work to make that happen.
roofnron is offline   Reply With Quote