Metal Vs Shingle Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

metal vs shingle roof

im gonna need a existing shingle tear off as it 2 layers, and thinking bout going back with metal instead of shingle.

does it make house look 'cheaper'?

pros vs cons?

thank u

Advertisement

shimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

metal vs shingle roof

Beauty is in the eye of the owner. People find it strange when I tell them I don't care much for standing seam on single-family residence since metal is most of my business, but I just don't prefer it. (in urban areas)

One thing for you to think about in your choice though is that for the price of even the cheapest acceptable metal system you can have a very high-end shingle installed.

Advertisement

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 524

metal vs shingle roof

metal is the best roof for longevity. Howard its big money. You could get a 40 year shingle instead and have thousands of dollars left over. Actually depending on the size of your roof. At least 5 or 6 if not more left over.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:52 AM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

metal vs shingle roof

When I had my 32' high A-Frame (originally roofed with cedar shingles) re-roofed in 1991, I researched all types of roofing including metal.
I ultimately went with a double-bonded 40-year fiberglass achitectural shingle. It was expensive for back then ($80/square just for the shingles), but less than the type of metal roofing that we seriously considered. They are over-sized shingles on 3.5" racks that required five nails per shingle in the field and eight nails along all edges.
We're in a high-wind coastal area, and I also had the all of edges all "tarred" down with (6"-12" wide) black plastic roofing cement.
We have been through a number of hurricanes (including direct hit Isabel in 2003), numerous nor'easters, and one waterspout since then, and we have never lost a single shingle.
Just our particular experience.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote