Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #1

Share |

Metal roofs: exposed fastener vs standing seam

I'm collecting bids for replacing my shingles with a metal roof and the last two guys have had really similar bids for exposed fastener and standing seam jobs; only about $500 more for standing seam. They both said that they preferred exposed fastener roofs, and that standing seam was overkill for our climate (< 10" of rain a year). One of them said that standing seam roofs are harder to repair and retrofit later if I or a future owner wanted to put in something like a skylight or a roof-mounted cooling appliance.

My impression is that standing seam roofs are much higher quality, so these views surprised me, as did the small difference between the bids for exposed fastener vs standing seam.

Are these guys right? Are they so wrong that I shouldn't even consider them?

Last edited by iLikeDirt; 05-12-2014 at 04:51 PM.
iLikeDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #2

Standing seam is a far better roof!
Unless this was just for a pole barn I would not even consider anything with exposed screws.

concretemasonry (05-12-2014), kwikfishron (05-12-2014), roofermann (05-13-2014), tinner666 (05-12-2014), Windows on Wash (05-13-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

I think I'd keep shopping. SS is harder to install 'fast'. Both are easy to screw up, but stay away from exposed fasteners. Personally, I refuse to even bid EF roofs.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #4

I bet they weren't offering a true ss roof, maybe a snap panel? There is no way $500 even comes close to the cost difference.
They are correct that hidden fastener roofs are complicated to repair, so make sure its done right.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

The panel they would be using is the McElroy Meridian standing seam panel (http://www.mcelroymetal.com/content/...?product_id=13), which is not mechanically-seamed; the panels are directly screwed down on one side, then those screws are covered by the next panel, and the seams are snapped together. Is this a poor product? It seems to be the only standing seam panel locally available. The roof is 25 squares and so far I have gotten one bid for 14k and two for 10k. All three would be using the Meridian panel.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #6

Looks like a standard snap panel. Snap panels are a good option, especially on simple buildings. They aren't as wind resistant, more prone to oil canning. Whether or not it holds up is all in the details.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
Low Slope Roofing

What gauge of standing seam? $500 IMO isn't enough of a difference between the two panels. Something is being forgotten. Most standing seam has separate clips to hold the panel in place, these have a flange. That would lead to more oil caning and the panel would not be able to move as it should. I'm guessing they must be a fairly inexpensive panel. You can get better panels shipped anywhere.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #8

It would be 26 gauge.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Low Slope Roofing

I'd go heavier, 24 gauge, it helps with the oil canning, also the ribbed panels will be better also.

For the exposed fasteners I doubt if they are more then 28 gauge.

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote