Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

metal roofing repair

I have a metal roof on my house and over the years people have added several pipes going through the last piece. there's a 3" pvc, 1.5" pvc, and a 2" metal pipe. None of these are working anymore and most have cause leakes over the years. I've laid on a lot of the paint on metal roof coating but now I need to move the 3" and figured it's time to replace this sheet.

It looks like the piece i need to replace is crimped to the one next to it and on top of that, the pieces were only about 2ft long. so there are multiple pieces for one run. The piece(s) i'm replacing are at the end of the roof (on the first story where it hits the second story wall) and do not make a full width sheet. I'll try to through up some pictures later today.

I'm wondering how hard it is to replace this roofing. Do you need a special tool to join the adjacent pieces?

autx790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #2

metal roofing repair

Unless someone sees a picture not likly anyones going to be of much help.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

metal roofing repair

You need to uncrimp the double lock for 3' above and below the repair. You need to make a flat-lock seam below the repair and a reversed flatlock seam above it. Make a new panel, lock in the flat-lock seams, then redo the double lock seams. A bit of finesse.

A claw hammer for unlocking seams, a deadblow hammer, or wooden mallet for working the metal, Malco S-3 hand seamer, maybe a small roofer bar, (Pronounced Rooster Bar), circle snips, (red and green),etc.

One of my installs. See the tools involved too.
http://www.albertsroofing.com/Tin%20...to_gallery.htm

I have many albums here, and many involve metal details. Delve all you want.
http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/pho..._list.asp?u=30
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

metal roofing repair

Sorry to those who read this before i could post pictures...i completely forgot to take pictures...too much fun drywalling i suppose

I've posted some pictures now...

It's hard to tell in the photo on the left the way it's put together but that gives a better shot of the piece i'm wanting to replace. (the white part with all the pipes). The photo on the right shows the size of the "pieces" that make up the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
metal roofing repair-1.jpg   metal roofing repair-2.jpg  
autx790 is offline   Reply With Quote