Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 257
Rewards Points: 250
Default

metal roofing???


I'm building a small 3' x 8' shed and would like to use a metal roof. Where can I get a sheet of metal roofing? Is there any reason why I shouldn't use it in this application?

Are there any other light roofing option I should consider?

mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home
 
seeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 696
Rewards Points: 500
Default

metal roofing???


Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowers View Post
I'm building a small 3' x 8' shed and would like to use a metal roof. Where can I get a sheet of metal roofing? Is there any reason why I shouldn't use it in this application?

Are there any other light roofing option I should consider?
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest maybe a roofing supply store.

Here's two: ABC Supply, 2710 R Street, Sacramento - (916) 452-7000
&

5860 Alder Avenue, Sacramento - (916) 383-8311

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,151
Rewards Points: 506
Default

metal roofing???


Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest maybe a roofing supply store.

Here's two: ABC Supply, 2710 R Street, Sacramento - (916) 452-7000
&

5860 Alder Avenue, Sacramento - (916) 383-8311
Smart Ass!!

Mopowers if you are just looking for cheap rolled rib your local big box also carries it in 12' lengths I believe.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 257
Rewards Points: 250
Default

metal roofing???


Thanks for the input and contacts. Sorry to sound stupid, but I've never done this type of roofing before. Can I just screw the roofing directly to the framing? Or do I need to lay down some plywood first? Remember, this is just a small 3 x 8 shed.

Agains, sorry to sound stupid. My hobby is building hotrods, not roofing. So this is new to me.

THANKS again!
mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Shut in w/o Home
 
seeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 696
Rewards Points: 500
Default

metal roofing???


Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowers View Post
Thanks for the input and contacts. Sorry to sound stupid, but I've never done this type of roofing before. Can I just screw the roofing directly to the framing? Or do I need to lay down some plywood first? Remember, this is just a small 3 x 8 shed.

Agains, sorry to sound stupid. My hobby is building hotrods, not roofing. So this is new to me.

THANKS again!

You need either solid sheathing (plywood) or purlins (spaced 1x run perpendicular to the rafters) for the metal to sit on.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lathe metal roofing? Stan ETenn Roofing/Siding 19 06-18-2013 06:48 PM
1927 Metal porch roof/Deck 4'x6' (EDPM or Rolled roofing). greenhornet Roofing/Siding 2 09-22-2009 09:49 AM
metal roofing nomoney Roofing/Siding 27 01-12-2009 09:29 PM
Wire size for 300watt trans, 3 way 100ft Al the Diy guy Electrical 16 03-22-2008 08:46 PM
Metal Roofing for Experienced Beginners rezroofers Roofing/Siding 3 06-20-2007 11:42 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.