Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #1

Share |

Metal roofing

Up here in Alberta it is very hard to get an estimated price on how contractors charge to install metal roofing. Anybody know the going rate. I have been quoted from $4sq/ft to $13/sqft. Thanks for any input.

bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #2

Metal roofing

depends

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #3

Metal roofing

Ya I know it depends on a lot of stuff, My roof pitch is a 7/12 with 1 dormer out each side that are 4/12. Right now there are old ashalt shingles and my plan is to have them stripped off so the contractor just has to come in and lay the metal roof on, It is corrogated flat seam tin that is going to be held in place with screws. Are there any advantages to laying strapping over the roof deck to fasten screws to other than I will be able to hit a truss when i nail down the strapping then the tin will be fastened to the strapping instead of the osb. I will be purchasing the tin as well.
Thanks, what else does it depend on.

Last edited by bronco2; 08-16-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #4

Metal roofing

thanks very much for being so quick out of the chute to answer this question once I gave you a little "depends" there Tom. Don't worry about it, I hired a guy for $6.50 a sq/ft.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #5

Metal roofing

We bought a house with a metal roof with the screws and gaskets.
I think the mfr. preferred screwing it right onto the roof deck if possible.
We also screened in our deck and had a roof put on to match the house.
In my reading of the mfr literature, there are a bunch of different shaped pieces for different things. I'm thinking it might be best to have the roofer buy the material, but I'm no expert.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #6

Metal roofing

Thanks velvet, oh I know there are a lot of different style flashings out there, we just want plain jane roof edge and fascia. It just would have been nice to know if I was paying my guy to much or not enough.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #7

Metal roofing

With any system that relies on exposed neoprene washers, whatever price you are paying is too much once the neoprene deteriorates from the UV rays of the sun and permits full spread leakage at all of the newly uncovered holes.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #8

Metal roofing

Thanks for the reply Ed, what is the lifespan of the neoprene washers if you don't mind me asking.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #9

Metal roofing

I don't know exactly at which point they fail to the point of leakage, because a lot of that would deal with the torque applied during the fastening and how much of the rubber bushing flattened out beyond the metal washer component.

I do know that some roofing contractors heavily market elasomeric roofing repairs specifically for these style of installations, and due to the replacement costs associated with the metal roof panel R & R, their picking are pretty easy.

So, as a best "Guess" I would venture 10 years for deterioration at the early stages, barring no other fastening malfunction and around 20 years for significant UV deterioration.

This is from personal observations and no actual studies I have read, Yet, but now I will.

A concealed fastening system, (ie; Standing Seam, Batten Seam, Unilock Seam, etc...), would offer a much better value, even if the initial costs to install are greater than the exposed fastener systyems.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #10

Metal roofing

screw down panels are really an ag panel i wouldnt recomend one on a house,but they do sell them for houses
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #11

Metal roofing

Thank you Ed for the Info. when you say initial install is more with the standing seam, etc. How much more. Thanks Tom for the info but it seems like more and more residential houses are going to the screw down panels especially on anything over a 4/12.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #12

Metal roofing

Yes, it would have been nice if our roof was standing seam, but it is what it is.
We have the Fabral Grandrib 3, http://www.fabral.com/residential.php#standingseam .
The literature says the mfr's screw gaskets are silicone.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #13

Metal roofing

That's nice looking stuff there velvet do you know if the mft recommends an ice and water shield to be applied to the entire roof before laying tin. Reason I ask is that one of our neighbors is getting there house done in tin and the entire roof deck is covered with that Grace ice and water shield with the plastic looking covering on it.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #14

Metal roofing

I was just reading this: http://www.fabral.com/technical/Residential.pdf .
They seem to like that stuff for shallow applications and valleys and such, but it can't seem to hurt.
That document I linked to says they prefer 5/8" plywood roof decking, as opposed to osb or flake board (not that I could identify the difference because of the lessened screw-holding capability, over time. They said that the torque required when screwing down the roof on thinner osb is just about the same as to rip it out, so that's no good! They say to use furring strips if those materials are used.

Last edited by VelvetFoot; 08-19-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #15

Metal roofing

Ya the problem with using furring strips is if you step in the wrong place you buckle the metal.