DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Metal Roofing

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  krzysztoslaw 
#1 ·
I need some advice. I live on the south shore of Long Island, NY and need to replace my 9 year old roof. We purchased the house 9 years ago brand new and have had a roof leak since year 5. We have now discovered another leak and really need to replace the roof. We are looking into metal, since we plan to live in this house for at least the next 30 years and don't want to go through replacing the roof again. Right now one metal roof manufacturer has quoted us double what an asphalt roof would cost. We cannot even find another metal roofer to quote us in our area.

My questions are,
Does anyone have experience with metal roofs?
Are they worth the money?
My concerns are sound and lightening.
Any ideas.........Help! Thanks.

#2 ·
A brand new roof (nine years ago) should have lasted a lot longer than five years without leaking. You may have other problems, like improperly installed roof sheathing or felt, no drip edge, no ice and water shield etc. I think I would get a competent roofing company out to look at the roof to help you understand why the leaks are occurring.

Metal roofs are getting popular around the country, especially in areas prone to wild fire. As with all roofing options, the costs vary, depending on the quality of the roof. A top shelf standing seam metal roof should last up to 50 years, and should have sound insulation installed beneath it to keep it relatively quiet. As for lightning, just because it is metal does not mean it will attract lightning any more than an asphalt roof. Lightning is a complex phenomena, most houses do not have lightning protection, and houses are rarely hit, and often experience limited damage even if hit.

If you are truly concerned about lightning, you are going to need a lightning protection system, which can be costly. When I designed cell phone towers, we always included a lightning arrest system, very expensive, since we needed to protect delicate electrical equipment from damage.

#3 ·
I to live on the south shore of long island in sayville so hello neighbor. I have been doing residential roofing for about 12 years and have never put a metal roof on a house. I don't think you should blame the asphalt shingle it most likely was just a bad roofer. If it is quality and durability you are looking for than consider finding yourself a GAF master elite certified installer, going with a shingle that has a lifetime warranty, and using copper flashings instead of aluminum. Gaf also offers the golden pledge warranty for details check out this link:
http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/60357.pdf

In the meantime I'll make a few calls and see if any of the guys I know work with metal for you. Good Luck!

#4 ·
Hello neighbor...and Thanks so much for the info:thumbup:

We absolutely agree that we received a bad install on our roof. The house was built in 1999/2000 when you had a very hard time finding skilled labor. I think the builder said it was installed by the painter's helper because he had a few extra hours (only kidding)......

I also think you are right that we should just go with a better single and roofer. We looking at the GAF as you suggested. I do have one other question though, what is the benefit, if any of using copper vs aluminum flashing?

Thanks again....:)

#5 ·
Many of the Metal Roof Panel Systems are available for that new Energy Tax Credit, so the 30% savings, up to $1,500.00 may be of assistance to you.

Ed

#6 ·
Copper because...

The reason why I suggested copper flashing is mostly because it seems like you plan to spend a long time in your home. The copper flashing is thicker and has a longer life span, of the approx. 2000 roofs I have replaced in the last 12 years the ones that had copper flashing the flashings themselves withstood the test of time. While some roofers may consider it going overboard going with copper and a lifetime warrantied shingle is the best for anyone who plans on staying in their home a long time. Aluminum has replaced copper for the most part because it is a cheaper solution not a better one.

#7 ·
I like your approach. I agree with you that we are too poor to buy cheap roof. As far as metal roofing there is many styles available. Did you consider standing seam or other metal roofing? I personally like metal roofing offered by www.50roof.com
This type of roofing is very popular in Europe. It looks great and panels are 4 ft wide which makes installation very fast.
I don't understand why would anyone pay for roof which is going to last 10-15 years only. Shingles don't look too bad but they are nothing but trouble.
Metal roofing is installed in Europe directly over rafters, without plywood deck. This save money and makes metal roofing an obvious choice. The price is comparable to shinghles but metal roofing lasts 80-100 years.

Kris
www.3dfinedesign.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.