Metal Roof Underlay - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 70

Metal roof underlay

I'm considering replacing a low slope (1.75:12) metal roof on the back of my house. I believe it is currently TPO but not positive. It is not leaking, and appears to be in good shape, but since this is an older house, insurance company is telling me that it needs to be replaced so that they have a correct date on it. The TPO(?) is currently covered with gravel and I was curious if I was able to remove all traces of gravel, if I could use the TPO as an underlayment for a metal roof, or if it has to come up. I think I would have to do strapping across it so that the thermal expansion of roof panels don't rub against, and other than that I see no problem with this thought process.
I've read nearly all the mixed opinions of Metal for lo-slope, and don't want to re-hash that if possible, since there seems to be no definitive answer. I'm on Vancouver Island so temperatures aren't extreme at any point.
Thanks for the help

Sorry, but yes this is a re-thread from another site, but there were lots of views but no help.

Advertisement

Last edited by grendel5269; 04-16-2014 at 10:35 PM.
grendel5269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 163

Metal roof underlay

Do you get snow? if yes then I would not recommend metal on that shallow a slope.

Advertisement

roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,304

Metal roof underlay

If you get a ton of snow, single ply is probably better.

Double mechanical lock standing seam is pretty proven on low slope applications as well.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 70

Metal roof underlay

good stuff, thanks for the help. Still haven't made a decision on it yet, still saving my pennies. Our snow is minimal at best, and yep was def looking to do the mechanical locking standing seam. That part I wont cheap out on.
Cheers
grendel5269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,056

Metal roof underlay

Rocks on a TPO? While not unheard of it would be loose laid rock other wise it would all end up on the ground.

I'm going to assume this is an BUR. The rock would need to be scraped down to smooth, then add your metal panels. you would also need a under layment then. TBH The best bet is to remove the existing roof in both cases.

A almost 2:12 is fine even with some snap lock panels, some manufactures will require sealant in the seam, others not. Double locks are great, but not exactly DYI friendly.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
CRCA Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Metal roof underlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
Rocks on a TPO? While not unheard of it would be loose laid rock other wise it would all end up on the ground.

I'm going to assume this is an BUR. The rock would need to be scraped down to smooth, then add your metal panels. you would also need a under layment then. TBH The best bet is to remove the existing roof in both cases.

A almost 2:12 is fine even with some snap lock panels, some manufactures will require sealant in the seam, others not. Double locks are great, but not exactly DYI friendly.
I agree, I was thinking the same thing. This is a BUR and not a TPO. And the absolute best procedure on any re-roofing project is to remove the existing roof right down to the deck. On residential projects re-roofing projects I always replace the deck and go to the bare truss.

Regarding underlayment, on a low slope I would recommend a high quality ice and water shield. BlueSkin or CertainTeed WeatherGuard HT come to mind but there are many others. I always run sealant on seams no matter what the slope and locking standing seam isn't difficult at all. At least not for me, but then again I do it for 10+ hours a day sometimes.

By the way, I'm in Vancouver so I'm not too far away from you. PM me if you have any further questions.
RoofingTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,056

Metal roof underlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofingTrades View Post
Regarding underlayment, on a low slope I would recommend a high quality ice and water shield. BlueSkin or CertainTeed WeatherGuard HT come to mind but there are many others. I always run sealant on seams no matter what the slope and locking standing seam isn't difficult at all. At least not for me, but then again I do it for 10+ hours a day sometimes.

By the way, I'm in Vancouver so I'm not too far away from you. PM me if you have any further questions.
Never said difficult, just not DIY friendly. As in not having the seam to finish the panels.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #8
CRCA Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Metal roof underlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
Never said difficult, just not DIY friendly. As in not having the seam to finish the panels.
I agree. For those who aren't familiar with this it would be better left for a professional. Especially when you get to thicker gauges it becomes more of a challenge to work with.
RoofingTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,700

Metal roof underlay

[QUOTE=grendel5269;1338101]It is not leaking, and appears to be in good shape, but since this is an older house, insurance company is telling me that it needs to be replaced so that they have a correct date on it.
Change insurance companies. They're looking for things that need not be looked for.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote