Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #1

Share |

Metal roof questions

This is not a project I will be attempting on my own but Iíd like to educate myself on the subject as much as possibleÖÖ

I have a small 1.5 story 1920ís bungalow with your run of the mil gable roof and a small front overhang over an enclosed porch. The old 3 tab shingles are shedding grains at an alarming rate and are starting to curl up. Ventilation is an issue with this house so Iím sure the shingles have suffered for that but Iím slowly renovating the already finished attic and addressing this. I havenít detected any leaks but I think Iím on borrowed time.

I really like the look of those metal roofs with the raised ďribsĒ (standing seam?). You see a fair amount of them around here, presumably because this is snow country I guessÖÖ.

-Do these roofs actually have an advantage in snowy areas such as dealing with ice dams and excessive snow buildup? Or is better insulation/ventilation still the answer to that regardless of roof type?

-Does a metal roof help keep the living space cooler? I would think shiny smooth metal would be more reflective of the sunís energy than shingles made of asphalt but Iím no expert.

-Does a metal roof use a ridge vent? Sorta hard to tell from the street. House currently has 4 square ridge vents and thatís it.

-Can rigid foam board be installed under the metal roof to increase R value?

-As installed, which roofing system weighs more? Standing seam metal or architectural shingles? I only have 2x4 rafters so I figure the less of a load on them, the better.

Sorry if my questions sound stupid, lol. Thanks for any info.

Zedman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #2

Metal roof questions

Post some pictures.
How steep is the roof?

rossfingal

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Metal roof questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedman53 View Post
This is not a project I will be attempting on my own but Iíd like to educate myself on the subject as much as possibleÖÖ

I have a small 1.5 story 1920ís bungalow with your run of the mil gable roof and a small front overhang over an enclosed porch. The old 3 tab shingles are shedding grains at an alarming rate and are starting to curl up. Ventilation is an issue with this house so Iím sure the shingles have suffered for that but Iím slowly renovating the already finished attic and addressing this. I havenít detected any leaks but I think Iím on borrowed time.

I really like the look of those metal roofs with the raised ďribsĒ (standing seam?). You see a fair amount of them around here, presumably because this is snow country I guessÖÖ.

-Do these roofs actually have an advantage in snowy areas such as dealing with ice dams and excessive snow buildup? Or is better insulation/ventilation still the answer to that regardless of roof type?

They do not ice damn when installed properly. That being said, you should correct the heat loss/insulation issue in conjunction with any new roof.

-Does a metal roof help keep the living space cooler? I would think shiny smooth metal would be more reflective of the sunís energy than shingles made of asphalt but Iím no expert.

Metal releases all of its heat much more quickly so comparing and asphalt and metal roof of the same color, pitch, orientation, etc, the home with the metal roof will be cooler over the long run.

-Does a metal roof use a ridge vent? Sorta hard to tell from the street. House currently has 4 square ridge vents and thatís it.

They can if the attic is a ventilated design. All depends on the application.

-Can rigid foam board be installed under the metal roof to increase R value?

Yes, however, again the placement, necessity, or application depends entirely on the attic and construction.

-As installed, which roofing system weighs more? Standing seam metal or architectural shingles? I only have 2x4 rafters so I figure the less of a load on them, the better.

Asphalt, by a large margin.

Sorry if my questions sound stupid, lol. Thanks for any info.

No stupid questions, just un-asked ones.
See above.

Where in upstate NY?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Zedman53 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
old timer

Metal roof questions

[QUOTE-Do these roofs actually have an advantage in snowy areas such as dealing with ice dams and excessive snow buildup? Or is better insulation/ventilation still the answer to that regardless of roof type?

They do not ice damn when installed properly. That being said, you should correct the heat loss/insulation issue in conjunction with any new roof.
][/QUOTE]

A metal roof can reduce the leaking that occurs due to ice damming but it will not prevent ice dams from forming. In some cases it may add to the ice dam formation. Metal Roofs and Ice Dams
As WOW said, correct the heat loss/insulation issue first.
dmc@RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dmc@RCR For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-24-2012), Tom Struble (01-24-2012), Windows on Wash (01-24-2012), Zedman53 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Metal roof questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc@RCR View Post
[QUOTE-Do these roofs actually have an advantage in snowy areas such as dealing with ice dams and excessive snow buildup? Or is better insulation/ventilation still the answer to that regardless of roof type?

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc@RCR View Post
A metal roof can reduce the leaking that occurs due to ice damming but it will not prevent ice dams from forming. In some cases it may add to the ice dam formation. Metal Roofs and Ice Dams
As WOW said, correct the heat loss/insulation issue first.
I should have amended my statement to point out that they still may ice damn, but they should not leak as a result of that ice damn. This is why you see the metal roof sections at the eaves of older roofs. Is it still possible, yes but exponentially more unlikely with the proper metal application.

The lack of penetrability on the metal keeps the water from backing up the metal and getting into the roof assembly and home.
Zedman53 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

Metal roof questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
Post some pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post

How steep is the roof?
Looks like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Where in upstate NY?

Buffalo area.

In the end I still may go with asphalt shingles if the cost for a metal roof is way higher. Any idea how much more a metal roof usually costs installed than architectural shingles?
Zedman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

Metal roof questions

Cost totally depends on your area. For us metal is about double the cost when you include all the screws, flashings, strapping and what not.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
Zedman53 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #8

Metal roof questions

Go and ask your Styrofoam insulation question in the Insulation Forum. Probably get more answers there.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
old timer

Metal roof questions

Cost is usually double to triple. The problem is finding a competent installer. Most are just asphalt shingle installers jumping on the metal roof bandwagon without any sheet metal experience.
Another option is to cover the lower eave with metal and the rest of the roof with standard shingles.
Pictured here; http://www.roofingcontractorreview.c...hield1-46.html

Again, you need a competent sheet metal roofer to install.
dmc@RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmc@RCR For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (01-24-2012), Zedman53 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

Metal roof questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedman53 View Post

Looks like this:

Buffalo area.

In the end I still may go with asphalt shingles if the cost for a metal roof is way higher. Any idea how much more a metal roof usually costs installed than architectural shingles?
As mentioned, completely depends on the cost of materials, labor, and overhead. Every market is different and idiosyncratic.

When you do your roof, definitely look into insulation and changing the dynamics of your insulation schedule.
Zedman53 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #11

Metal roof questions

Where near Buffalo are you? I just had a metal roof installed and am pleased with the contractor. I know he does work as far north as Orchard Park. Let me know if your interested and I'll pm his contact info.

To the mods, please remove if my post is not allowed.
Zedman53 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #12

Metal roof questions

-Do these roofs actually have an advantage in snowy areas such as dealing with ice dams and excessive snow buildup? Or is better insulation/ventilation still the answer to that regardless of roof type? They can shed snow more quickly and also be more resistant to leaks due to ice dams. But ice dams are indeed more about ventilation and insulation. Also, metal roofs can be damaged by ice dams, especially around valleys.

-Does a metal roof help keep the living space cooler? I would think shiny smooth metal would be more reflective of the sunís energy than shingles made of asphalt but Iím no expert. There are metal roofs with reflective pigment in the paints. Light colors will do the same thing. Some metal roofs have a small space between the metal and the roof deck and that can help as well. Additionally, they do shed gained heat quickly.

-Does a metal roof use a ridge vent? Sorta hard to tell from the street. House currently has 4 square ridge vents and thatís it. Most metal roofs can be installed with a ridge vent for exhaust. You then need soffit vents for intake. Good attic ventilation helps with a lot of things especially energy efficiency and avoiding ice dams as well as condensation issues.

-Can rigid foam board be installed under the metal roof to increase R value? Very rarely will I ever suggest doing this. There are risks associated with installing metal on foam and also insulation is usually best placed on the attic floor.

-As installed, which roofing system weighs more? Standing seam metal or architectural shingles? I only have 2x4 rafters so I figure the less of a load on them, the better. Standing seam will weigh from 70 to 140 pounds per square usually. The low end will be aluminum. Shingles weigh from 275 to 425.

I hope this helps.
Todd Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Miller For This Useful Post:
Zedman53 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Exterior Construction

Metal roof questions

Todd Miller is here...?

Welcome Todd. Good to see you.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #14

Metal roof questions

Haha, I think we both get around.
Todd Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #15

Metal roof questions

Depending on the materals used you can get it colored, with a 75 year warrenty againt rusting.
I've seen many standing seam roofs that are 100 years old and if they were maintained are still fine.
Just do a key word search on metal fooring there's hundreds of sites to look over for more info.
I've noticed a lot of homes in VT, Up state NY and NH, going back to metal roofing.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote