Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Metal Roof Patching

I am a college student that is a member of the Engineers without Borders organization. I, along with a groups of other students, are going to Guatemala this spring to install a solor electric system for a school in the mountainous highlands. The school was built with a corrugated metal roof and we need to put 1" hollow tube braces through itfor the solar panel mount. Cutting the holes and installing the solar mounting structure will be the easy part but im having a hard time coming up with good long lasting soution to patching holes around the 1"HT. I am a mechanical engineer so i dont know much about the roofing. I have attached a picture of the roof so you can get an idea of what it is. Thank you for your help. Our final design is due this week so any input would be greatly appreciated.

adamsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Metal Roof Patching

this help?
http://www.hartandcooley.com/Librari...hing.sflb.ashx

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Metal Roof Patching

I looked at some boots similar to those(smaller of course) but the problem is that they are square tubes and relatively small for what is out there. mose of the boots for sale are for things such as 3" vents and chimneys. There is also a bit of cost involved in such items. From what i saw they are around $50 per boot and we would need several of them. Its going to be hard to justify spending a few hundred dollars of teh project budget on fixing a roof that we drilled holes into. Is there any sort of material or high strength/durable compound that could acheive this at a lower cost? I have heard things about a product called eternabond... is that something that would work or is that meant more for only flat surfaces? Thank you again.
adamsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Metal Roof Patching

oh, i have used eternabond and it would be a good product for your application

just make sure your surface is clean and dry and use a roller to seal it to the surface,some porous or dirty surfaces may need a primer

email them,they may be able to help you design the fittings you need

it's a great product but not cheap
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrugated metal sheet