Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #1

Share |

metal roof over possibly damaged shingle roof

my home needs a new roof and I'm trying to decide between metal and shingle - I think that there may be some structural damage and if I put a metal roof over that (without fixing any unknown damage) will that eliminate any further damage from happening? ( too many hurricanes in the last few years really ate my roof up & too many trees ) HELP!

nancy ostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #2

If I was going to spend the money for either a Metal roof or a Quality shingle roof I would strip off all old roofing and inspect my roof decking for any problems.
In my opinion to not do this is just plain wrong. and it could lead to a very expensive fix.

merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #3

I'm not a roofer, but I'm gonna second that motion. No sense investing in an expensive roof without assessing the condition of the underlying decking. It would be like adding a story to your house without even looking at the foundation.

You could end up having to pay to tear off your old roof, and your new one to fix problems hiding underneath... then having to pay to put another new one on.

I wouldn't take that bet unless I was 90% certain the decking was in top condition.
echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy ostin View Post
my home needs a new roof and I'm trying to decide between metal and shingle - I think that there may be some structural damage and if I put a metal roof over that (without fixing any unknown damage) will that eliminate any further damage from happening? ( too many hurricanes in the last few years really ate my roof up & too many trees ) HELP!

don't let anybody talk you into doing this

does that really make sence to you to put a new roof over a damaged structure
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Chaos Engineer

Never cover damage........FIX IT.
Big N8 is offline   Reply With Quote