Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Share |

Metal roof may be leaking

I have 2 climate controlled metal storage buildings and am seeing some moisture on the vinyl faced insulation on one of the outside walls. I have only seen this in a couple of places but have not located any leaks, but then the vinyl faced insulation against the roof makes it hard to find. When I felt up behind the gutters, I discovered that the foam rubber used to fill the gaps at the end of the steel roofing is missing in some places and the insulation was wet. The building is only 3 years old. I am considering a roof coating unless someone can give me a better (hopefully cheaper) solution. Thanks in advance for any help.

bforrest13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Low Slope Roofing

That could be the problem. If you seeing the moisture on the front wall by where you felt the foam gone thats a good indication. Are you getting any ice damns in the gutter? Have you seen any water on the floors? The vinyl facing on the insulation will let the water run down for awhile till it finds a way out. are there seams on the roof? If the water is just coming in from the foam closures being gone a coating will not help that. A coating will help seam leaks if done right, they need to be reinforced with a poly or fiberglass mesh. The seams if any shouldnt be leaking in 3 years, but thats not to say they were done right.

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #3

I didn't find any water in the floor, only evidence of it running down the vinyl facing on the wall insulation. Haven't had any problems with ice dams. I agree that it shouldn't be leaking after only 3 years, assuming that the contract seal all of the seams with tape. I may need check on the fasteners to see if they are all tight and sealed and also re-install (or possibly install for the first time) the foam rubber strips across the end.
Thanks for your assistance.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Low Slope Roofing

your welcome. Yes sometimes the fasteners in the laps work them selfs out, generally not after 3 years but it could happen. Im guessing this isnt a standing seam roof then. You should be able to buy the foam closures for the panel ends just have to draw out your profile and get good tape reading on them.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #5

It is a lap seam roof. I didn't think that the fasteners should be loose after only 3 years. If they are loose, they were likely not installed correctly. You are probably right in that the missing foam closures are the problem. I will start there but also check for loose fastners or fastners that missed the mark.
Thanks Again.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Low Slope Roofing

Good luck hope you can get it fixed.