Metal Roof Looks Right For Me But How Do I Install? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Metal roof looks right for me but how do I install?

I have a hurricane damaged single roof with a 1and ahalf to 12inch pitch(I know my roofer should not have used singles!) Anyway I would like to do it myself but I have been unable to find a decent book about metal roofing. My roof is about as simple as it can get, one minor valley and I only need to do half of it (low pitch half). I know someone will suggest me hiring someone and I've been there done that and been burned! I know there are good roofers but they are hard to find and I don't know any so for me this is DIY only option. Thanks

Advertisement

Tubenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #2

I took a few pics of my roof.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

You didn't specify what kind of roof you want to put on....you can find a lot of information by just searching metal roofing.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:14 AM   #4

R panel From the info I've found it can go down to 1/2inch pitch! And being able to go over my old roof vs tearing it off makes it my choice. But I haven't found a how to book on that kind of metal roof,seems everything is single or metal single
Old 04-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
General Contractor

Do a search for steel building components or metal building components, and you will find what you are looking for. "R" panel is kind of course looking on a home roof, and you must use butyl tape or silicone on every lap, or they will leak. Classic profile is a much better choice, looks beter (you can search my old posts for pictures of a few roofs) and are not prone to leaking, but on a 1/12 pitch, you need to seal the seams regardless.

If you kind find a Mueller Steel Buildings plant in your area, they will fix you up, screws and all.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

A few other comments from a DIYer who has done a lot of roofs, including a bunch of low slope roofs.

First, tear off the old regardless. It will allow you to fix any unseen damage and will make for a better finished product.

Second. Don't just do the low slope section. Do the whole thing up to the ridge. Its only a little further to go and you will be able to ensure a good transition, that wont leak, between the two sections.

Third. I'm not a big fan of a metal roof for a low slope application. Maybe if a pro did it but not for DIY IMO. I would look into a rubber roof. Go to the ridge with it. For aesthetics you could, I suppose, shingle the top section but run the rubber up a couple of foot and shingle over it.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
Commercial Roofing

Yeah, you'll always have a fubar transition with that metal panel system.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #8

Tear the roof off first if it is hurricane damage that water gets places you couldn't imagine. With metal going from a higher pitch to low will transition terrible if you don't do the whole thing and research your metal metal roofing is not a DIY project metal can be tricky especially with a valley and with hurricanes. your general main metals are only warrantied for a 4/12 pitch and higher.
RPB Construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #9

Thanks,I will do a bit more research. I really don't want to tear off my old roof,I'll be doing the work by myself as in just me! It will be slow so I need the old one for potection. I don't like rubber roofs aka torch downs my neighbor had one. Rita rolled it up neatly and placed it in his back yard.

Advertisement