Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2006, 02:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Metal roof leaks

We have a horse barn with a tin-metal roof that's still leaking after putting Snow-seal, and then wet-dry roof patch on the nails. We live in WA and any fix now will have to be done in the rain. Anyone have any ideas? It's about 15x'75'.

Cowchip500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
General Contractor

Metal roof leaks

If the metal is in decent condition. what I would do is pull the nails, and replace with "woodgrip" 2-1/2 inch screws, and use butyl tape on the laps, universal closure foem on the ridge, if it has a ridge. All of this can be done progressively, without actually removing the roof panels. You can find the screws and closure from dynamicfastener.com/ , Good luck.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
HarryHarley

Metal roof leaks

I had the same problem. I have a 30 x 60 barn. The roof was 20 years old. Joasis is exactly right. The condition of the tin is where you start. I spent a few years delaying the inevitable. The nails kept backing out and causing more leaks. When I did take the old roof off I can't tell you how many more nails were loose that I never saw the first time. Some of the dripping inside the barn were 5 to 10 feet feet from where the water was leaking in. Absolutely use stainless steel screws with the rubber washer built into the hexhead.
You won't need any caulking using these special roofing screws.
Good luck and Happy Holidays.
HarryHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:47 PM   #4

Metal roof leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHarley View Post
I had the same problem. I have a 30 x 60 barn. The roof was 20 years old. Joasis is exactly right. The condition of the tin is where you start. I spent a few years delaying the inevitable. The nails kept backing out and causing more leaks. When I did take the old roof off I can't tell you how many more nails were loose that I never saw the first time. Some of the dripping inside the barn were 5 to 10 feet feet from where the water was leaking in. Absolutely use stainless steel screws with the rubber washer built into the hexhead.
You won't need any caulking using these special roofing screws.
Good luck and Happy Holidays.
Be careful not to over tighten the screws!! halleloucu
halleloucu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Commercial Roofing

Metal roof leaks

Polyurea membrane seamlessly applied over entire roof, installed to specs will last a LONG time leak-free.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #6

Question

Metal roof leaks

i have a metal roof and it leaks when it rains i have a flat roof. when it snow it leaks to any anwers to my problems thanks.
joelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Commercial Roofing

Metal roof leaks

Sure, we have answers...just go ahead and ask a question.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #8

Metal roof leaks

This is my first post so please forgive me if I do not do it exactly right or if it is in the wrong location, but here is my question.

We have an add on to our house with a flat roof. A couple of years ago it started to leak, we tried and tried to fix it but it still leaked so we replaced it with another flat roof. It still leaked so we replaced that with a shingle roof and it still leaked. We now have put on a metal roof and it still leaks. We believe it is coming in where the addition meets the original roof. We have done everything we can think of and it has cost us thousands of dollars. PLEASE any advise on what we're looking for and how to stop it.
debisans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 96

Metal roof leaks

#1 Go back and add your own post, not just add onto someone elses.
Post some pictures.
Make sure your location is in your profile.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
debisans (10-23-2012)