DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   metal roof leak (

econdave 07-25-2006 03:04 PM

metal roof leak
I have a leak on my barn roof. Under the ridge it looks like they used some kind of blue foam to keep rain from getting under the ridge top. Is this available at Hardware stores? thanks

redline 07-25-2006 03:18 PM

Without seeing it would be hard to tell what it is.

They may have just used expanding spray foam???

The expanding spray foam in a can is purchased at many hardware stores.

econdave 07-25-2006 06:39 PM

no, it isnt the expandable foam, its soft, almost like a sponge. I was thinking about using the spray foam that doesnt expand, I believe it is for doors and windows. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AaronB 07-25-2006 07:50 PM

non blown foam? Sounds like youre looking for a sprayable membrane? Look into polyurea for long term high performance waterproofing.

Bonus 07-25-2006 11:37 PM

My roofing supplier has foam strips to match the profile of the roof that just tuck under the ridge.. They're sticky as well. Get the profile and go buy them, up here, they're ~$1.00/ft

econdave 07-26-2006 05:36 AM

what do you mean by get the profile? sounds like the stuff they used, it just tucks under the ridge vent.

Bonus 07-26-2006 11:02 AM

Yeah, it does, but there are a lot of different shapes of steel roofing, and they make the gaskets to fit the different shapes (profiles).

econdave 07-26-2006 03:19 PM

I will look for it, thanks

joasis 07-26-2006 05:24 PM

You should be able to find an expandable foam closure in 20 foot rolls. Has a sticky side, and after a few hours, will expand..another name for it is universal expanding closure...if you can't find it, let me know and I will give you a number to call where you can get it. Since it is universal, you won't need to worry about the profile of the roof panels.

AaronB 07-26-2006 09:24 PM

Now that sounds handy.

Bonus 07-27-2006 12:28 AM

"Now that sounds handy."

No sh!t, got a manufacturers name? Website?

joasis 07-27-2006 07:17 AM

I buy it direct from our steel supplier...800 256 3237, Longreach Steel, ask and I am sure they would be happy to sell you a case, or tell you the direct supplier. If the tole free doesn't work for you, call information and get the direct number..they are out of Tecumseh, Oklahoma.

I didn't see any in the Dynamic Fastener catalog, but they should also have a source for it.

Bonus 07-27-2006 11:31 AM

tks, joasis

econdave 08-03-2006 05:18 AM

would it be alright to use a can of exapandable foam like they use for insluating? it is just on small section that is missing this ridge vent membrane. Thanks

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1