Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Metal roof/gutter issue

I've got a metal roof that was installed last year and when they installed it the metal was run to far down into the gutter which makes it very hard to clean them out. It's pretty much a 1.5-2inch gap there. I was wondering if anyone could think of a better idea then mine. Idea A: Remove the existing gutters and reset after applying another layer of fascia board(pitch on some of the runs are poor and some nail/spikes have pull out anyways) Idea B: is to snap a caulk line at the end and cut it back to the desired length. That option is very tedious I imagine. So also my house is a split level with a basement. the highest point is about 30 feet or so above ground on the 2nd story and another section has a steeply pitched slope. So safety with either option would be a big issue.

Thanks for any ideas,

Darius

yulookin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 824

Metal roof/gutter issue

what about putting hose in the gap and hose it down?

federer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
In search of perfection

Metal roof/gutter issue

Adding another layer of facia might be really difficult, there is typically a drip edge that covers the existing facia.

You could have larger gutters installed; a 6" gutter might make clean out a little easier.

Another option: buy a leaf blower, stick the nozzle in one end of the gutter, hit the gas and watch the leaves come flying out the other end. For a 30' run you might have to move the ladder once. You will save your hands and you wont have to walk on the roof. Clean the downspouts by blowing air into them from the ground.
My house is 87' long, I can clean my gutters in 20 minutes using this method.

Good luck
ZnCuSnRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #4

Metal roof/gutter issue

thanks for the replies any solutions provided gives me more ideas. I think adding 6" gutters might be a really good idea because of the pitching issues I mentioned earlier. I don't think the leaf blower idea will work well enough(I've got one) and I've used it to blow up the down spout before and because i am surround by pine trees the needles and leaves mesh together an bind up clogging the gutter pretty well. Also about adding water, I was never scared of the roof (2nd floor 30 ft off the ground) until the metal was put on, metal can be slick without water, with forget about it.

thanks,

Darius.
yulookin2 is offline   Reply With Quote