Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

metal roof flash problem?

I am new to the forum. Sorry I am here only for help.
There is rain water leakage from the metal roof above my kitchen. The problem may be due to the wall flash as you can see from the attached photo. I decide to fix it by myself. I would like to ask some advice from people here.
1. Is it safe for me to walk on the metal roof? the roof is below the window of one bedroom. I may climb to the roof from the window
2. What kind of materials and methods I should use to seal the flash? adhesive tape, sealdant, or cement?
3. As you can see from the photo, there is rust on the roof. Should I paint or coating the roof to prevent it from getting worse.
4 as for the ceiling, how should I remove the damp and let it look better.
Thanks in advance

I took the photo from the window above the roof. In the third photo, the window and door belong to neighbour, the sideway and garden wall are not shown clearly. Also part of garden of another neighbour is shown in the second photo. The leakgage may happen in the flashing in the third picture. But the flashing in the first picture of middle position seems not right either.
Attached Thumbnails
metal roof flash problem?-dscf1650-new.jpg   metal roof flash problem?-dscf1651-new.jpg   metal roof flash problem?-dscf1649new.jpg   metal roof flash problem?-dscf1646new.jpg  

Last edited by beresford; 01-10-2012 at 05:37 AM.
beresford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

You can walk on the roof as long as you stay over whatever wood is underneath (rafters).
I don't know how to fix it, except hire a pro. He will probably rip out what you have and re-flash.
Anything short of that would probably be short-lived.
The drywall is easy to fix, but again, call a pro.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
beresford (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #3

Thanks. I suppose the flash is made of lead why it has rust like iron and a short life.
I may still plan to do it by myself but may change mind if find it difficulty next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
You can walk on the roof as long as you stay over whatever wood is underneath (rafters).
I don't know how to fix it, except hire a pro. He will probably rip out what you have and re-flash.
Anything short of that would probably be short-lived.
The drywall is easy to fix, but again, call a pro.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 520

Can you take a closeup picture right in the corner below the window?

K, now I'm confused.

Looks like the counterflashing is bucking water

Last edited by OldNBroken; 01-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,314

What in the world is all that stuff.
It looks like someone tryed to use commerical siding materal to make a wall and ran it in the wrong direction. And it looks like someone tryed to use stucco on a roof.
What's up with what looks like stucco panels falling apart on the wall?
Your going to have to get in touch with a commercialsteel building company for the proper flashing for that wall.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
It looks like someone tryed to use commerical siding materal to make a wall and ran it in the wrong direction. And it looks like someone tryed to use stucco on a roof.
Your going to have to get in touch with a commercialsteel building company for the proper flashing for that wall.
I think the picture is sideways.
That's a door next to a window.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #7

Thanks. I will take a photo on weekend since I am in another city during working days.
The leakgage seems happened on the counterflashing on the right corner as shown in the third photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Can you take a closeup picture right in the corner below the window?

K, now I'm confused.

Looks like the counterflashing is bucking water
Old 01-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #8

I bought the house last year. I regret not done a proper survey, only a very basic one from the lender. Now I pay the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #9

I took the photo from the window above the roof. In the third photo, the window and door belong to neighbour, the sideway and garden wall are not shown clearly. Also part of garden of another neighbour is shown in the second photo. The leakgage may happen in the flashing in the third picture. But the flashing in the first picture of middle position seems not right either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
I think the picture is sideways.
That's a door next to a window.

Last edited by beresford; 01-10-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Well, you have two possible problems I can see from there. One, that lower piece of counterflashing is lapped the wrong way. Two is all those screws tying into the roof rib. They are all metal to metal and rusting. Too many roofers do not take the time to put any kind of a seal between the two pieces of metal and after a time they can develop leaks. Not usually big leaks but leaks nonetheless.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,666

Quote:
Well, you have two possible problems I can see from there. One, that lower piece of counterflashing is lapped the wrong way. Two is all those screws tying into the roof rib. They are all metal to metal and rusting. Too many roofers do not take the time to put any kind of a seal between the two pieces of metal and after a time they can develop leaks. Not usually big leaks but leaks nonetheless.
+1

New counter flashing and at minimum some new fasteners/gaskets and sealant.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #12

Thanks. That could be a big pain for me now.

I am not sure how much it will cost if I instruct a professional to replace the counterflashing. I may do someting temporaly to the roof due to tight money. Do you think it is ok to seal the counterflashing with some special tape and paint the rust area? I dont think the countflashing metal is lead or copper now. It may be iron or even felt. why there are rusty strips on the counterflashing. I will have a close touch on weekend.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
+1

New counter flashing and at minimum some new fasteners/gaskets and sealant.

Last edited by beresford; 01-10-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,030

From what I see in the pictures it looks like the flashing does not go completely over the rib on the metal, looks like metal is at angle to wall, also it has a join in it that is overlapped the wronge way.

The flashing should be under the stucco (I think it is) then over the metal. It should come over at least one rib then down to the flat on the metal.

Something like the sidewall flashing on this site http://www.westform.com/products.php...2=prolok_12_16

Many good lumber yards would be able to help you (well around here anyway) I have found usually not a big box store.

Last edited by mae-ling; 01-10-2012 at 12:33 PM.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #14

Thanks. I do learn someting from the link.
I check the orginally third picture and I notice the dark shadow of water in the overlap position of two counterflahing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
From what I see in the pictures it looks like the flashing does not go completely over the rib on the metal, looks like metal is at angle to wall, also it has a join in it that is overlapped the wronge way.

The flashing should be under the stucco (I think it is) then over the metal. It should come over at least one rib then down to the flat on the metal.

Something like the sidewall flashing on this site http://www.westform.com/products.php...2=prolok_12_16

Many good lumber yards would be able to help you (well around here anyway) I have found usually not a big box store.
The Following User Says Thank You to beresford For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
Doing This Way Too Long

Just remember this. Any goop, caulk, pucky, paint or other attempted stop-gap repairs you do now will result in two things. It will not last long if at all. It will cause a much more difficult repair in the future, and a lot more costly repair.

If you are going to attempt it, I suggest you google eternabond and see if you can pick up a four inch wide roll. It's like duct tape on steroids

Last edited by OldNBroken; 01-10-2012 at 05:31 PM.