DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   metal roof flash problem? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/metal-roof-flash-problem-129410/)

beresford 01-09-2012 03:44 PM

metal roof flash problem?
 
4 Attachment(s)
I am new to the forum. Sorry I am here only for help.
There is rain water leakage from the metal roof above my kitchen. The problem may be due to the wall flash as you can see from the attached photo. I decide to fix it by myself. I would like to ask some advice from people here.
1. Is it safe for me to walk on the metal roof? the roof is below the window of one bedroom. I may climb to the roof from the window
2. What kind of materials and methods I should use to seal the flash? adhesive tape, sealdant, or cement?
3. As you can see from the photo, there is rust on the roof. Should I paint or coating the roof to prevent it from getting worse.
4 as for the ceiling, how should I remove the damp and let it look better.
Thanks in advance

I took the photo from the window above the roof. In the third photo, the window and door belong to neighbour, the sideway and garden wall are not shown clearly. Also part of garden of another neighbour is shown in the second photo. The leakgage may happen in the flashing in the third picture. But the flashing in the first picture of middle position seems not right either.

titanoman 01-09-2012 03:55 PM

You can walk on the roof as long as you stay over whatever wood is underneath (rafters).
I don't know how to fix it, except hire a pro. He will probably rip out what you have and re-flash.
Anything short of that would probably be short-lived.
The drywall is easy to fix, but again, call a pro.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

beresford 01-09-2012 04:05 PM

Thanks. I suppose the flash is made of lead why it has rust like iron and a short life.
I may still plan to do it by myself but may change mind if find it difficulty next weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by titanoman (Post 817688)
You can walk on the roof as long as you stay over whatever wood is underneath (rafters).
I don't know how to fix it, except hire a pro. He will probably rip out what you have and re-flash.
Anything short of that would probably be short-lived.
The drywall is easy to fix, but again, call a pro.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2


OldNBroken 01-09-2012 06:44 PM

Can you take a closeup picture right in the corner below the window?

K, now I'm confused.

Looks like the counterflashing is bucking water

joecaption 01-09-2012 07:05 PM

What in the world is all that stuff.
It looks like someone tryed to use commerical siding materal to make a wall and ran it in the wrong direction. And it looks like someone tryed to use stucco on a roof.
What's up with what looks like stucco panels falling apart on the wall?
Your going to have to get in touch with a commercialsteel building company for the proper flashing for that wall.

titanoman 01-09-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
What in the world is all that stuff.
It looks like someone tryed to use commerical siding materal to make a wall and ran it in the wrong direction. And it looks like someone tryed to use stucco on a roof.
What's up with what looks like stucco panels falling apart on the wall?
Your going to have to get in touch with a commercialsteel building company for the proper flashing for that wall.

I think the picture is sideways.
That's a door next to a window.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

beresford 01-10-2012 05:06 AM

Thanks. I will take a photo on weekend since I am in another city during working days.
The leakgage seems happened on the counterflashing on the right corner as shown in the third photo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldNBroken (Post 817827)
Can you take a closeup picture right in the corner below the window?

K, now I'm confused.

Looks like the counterflashing is bucking water


beresford 01-10-2012 05:09 AM

I bought the house last year. I regret not done a proper survey, only a very basic one from the lender. Now I pay the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 817846)
What in the world is all that stuff.
It looks like someone tryed to use commerical siding materal to make a wall and ran it in the wrong direction. And it looks like someone tryed to use stucco on a roof.
What's up with what looks like stucco panels falling apart on the wall?
Your going to have to get in touch with a commercialsteel building company for the proper flashing for that wall.


beresford 01-10-2012 05:14 AM

I took the photo from the window above the roof. In the third photo, the window and door belong to neighbour, the sideway and garden wall are not shown clearly. Also part of garden of another neighbour is shown in the second photo. The leakgage may happen in the flashing in the third picture. But the flashing in the first picture of middle position seems not right either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by titanoman (Post 817866)
I think the picture is sideways.
That's a door next to a window.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2


OldNBroken 01-10-2012 09:23 AM

Well, you have two possible problems I can see from there. One, that lower piece of counterflashing is lapped the wrong way. Two is all those screws tying into the roof rib. They are all metal to metal and rusting. Too many roofers do not take the time to put any kind of a seal between the two pieces of metal and after a time they can develop leaks. Not usually big leaks but leaks nonetheless.

Windows on Wash 01-10-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldNBroken (Post 818368)
Well, you have two possible problems I can see from there. One, that lower piece of counterflashing is lapped the wrong way. Two is all those screws tying into the roof rib. They are all metal to metal and rusting. Too many roofers do not take the time to put any kind of a seal between the two pieces of metal and after a time they can develop leaks. Not usually big leaks but leaks nonetheless.

+1

New counter flashing and at minimum some new fasteners/gaskets and sealant.

beresford 01-10-2012 11:02 AM

Thanks. That could be a big pain for me now.

I am not sure how much it will cost if I instruct a professional to replace the counterflashing. I may do someting temporaly to the roof due to tight money. Do you think it is ok to seal the counterflashing with some special tape and paint the rust area? I dont think the countflashing metal is lead or copper now. It may be iron or even felt. why there are rusty strips on the counterflashing. I will have a close touch on weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldNBroken (Post 818368)
Well, you have two possible problems I can see from there. One, that lower piece of counterflashing is lapped the wrong way. Two is all those screws tying into the roof rib. They are all metal to metal and rusting. Too many roofers do not take the time to put any kind of a seal between the two pieces of metal and after a time they can develop leaks. Not usually big leaks but leaks nonetheless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 818392)
+1

New counter flashing and at minimum some new fasteners/gaskets and sealant.


mae-ling 01-10-2012 12:28 PM

From what I see in the pictures it looks like the flashing does not go completely over the rib on the metal, looks like metal is at angle to wall, also it has a join in it that is overlapped the wronge way.

The flashing should be under the stucco (I think it is) then over the metal. It should come over at least one rib then down to the flat on the metal.

Something like the sidewall flashing on this site http://www.westform.com/products.php...2=prolok_12_16

Many good lumber yards would be able to help you (well around here anyway) I have found usually not a big box store.

beresford 01-10-2012 03:15 PM

Thanks. I do learn someting from the link.
I check the orginally third picture and I notice the dark shadow of water in the overlap position of two counterflahing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mae-ling (Post 818534)
From what I see in the pictures it looks like the flashing does not go completely over the rib on the metal, looks like metal is at angle to wall, also it has a join in it that is overlapped the wronge way.

The flashing should be under the stucco (I think it is) then over the metal. It should come over at least one rib then down to the flat on the metal.

Something like the sidewall flashing on this site http://www.westform.com/products.php...2=prolok_12_16

Many good lumber yards would be able to help you (well around here anyway) I have found usually not a big box store.


OldNBroken 01-10-2012 05:24 PM

Just remember this. Any goop, caulk, pucky, paint or other attempted stop-gap repairs you do now will result in two things. It will not last long if at all. It will cause a much more difficult repair in the future, and a lot more costly repair.

If you are going to attempt it, I suggest you google eternabond and see if you can pick up a four inch wide roll. It's like duct tape on steroids


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved