Metal Roof Coating - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Metal Roof Coating

What’s a good product for coating a metal roof?

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Metal Roof Coating

A new metal roof?

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of coatings

Advertisement

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Metal Roof Coating

You beat me to it old and broken. I am not a fan of coatings either. In my opinion, they are all just a band aid.
eisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Mod

Metal Roof Coating

I’m no fan either. The neighbor seems set on it and was quizzing me for info.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Metal Roof Coating

I know I'm going to get coating guys vehemently opposing me but I have been following coatings for years watching for advances in the product but to this day I'm still not convinced it is anything more than a maintenance coating, and not a great one at that.

We do emulsion and mat and it's a very similar situation. I only sell it as an alternative when I know the customer doesn't have the funds to do it properly but they need something done now. I explain to them this is a maintenance coating and we need to come back every two years to repair and recoat it. Will it last? Yes. Just tore one off we put down 12 years ago but the owner paid for the maintenance every two years to keep it going. Is it a roof system? No. So I won't sell it as one.

As long as you are selling it for what it is, a cosmetic or temporary maintenance coating there's nothing wrong with that. But there are many people out there touting it as a great alternative roofing system. To me this is dishonest and a disservice to the customer.

I see many of them where the customer was sold a "roof" with a 10, 15, sometimes 20 year warranty and a few years later it fails, looks like crap and the contractor either ignores them or is nowhere to be found.

Just my $.02
Old 08-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Mod

Metal Roof Coating

Thanks for the input, I couldn’t agree with you more.

I was talking to him yesterday and he was telling me that 2 different roofing companies told him to coat it and gave him bids. He told me the roof was only 5 years old and had many leaks. That got my curiosity going, I figured no way this is product failuer it has to be a human failuer.

He took me to see the leaks in his 30x70 …. Lodge. Full perimeter leaks and 1/3 of the low end center is water damaged. I quickly realize this is a flat roof with metal on it, 100+ year old building can’t see it from the ground because of the parapets so I dug the 40 out of the weeds to check it out.

The last guys put exposed fastener metal on a maybe a ½/12 pitch roof. I explained to him about min. pitch for metal roofs and why this is so. Took pictures and showed him the many different places the roof was leaking from and between the last roofer and the 2 new ones he’s getting the shaft from both ends.

He wants me to fix it now but that’s not going to happen I’ve got plenty to do without having to run up and down a 40 all day. Real nice people and I do want to give them “correct information” and maybe be there when the next guy shows up.

So my next question. Can you insulate and install EPDM over this? You know there’s probably a foot of tar under it.
Attached Thumbnails
Metal Roof Coating-002.jpg   Metal Roof Coating-001.jpg  

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-17-2010 at 09:33 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

Metal Roof Coating

You definitely gave him correct information. Whoever put that roof on has absolutely no business roofing and anyone offering to do anything other than replace it with a proper system is no better.
As far as a new roof goes, it all depends on what's underneath. Chances are it requires a full tearoff but you would have to core it as well as check your local codes to know that for sure.
Sad to see someone getting screwed like that. Dunno if it's all the roofer's fault or partially the owners by not doing due diligence and just going with what was cheapest.
My advice, don't go anywhere near it without him wanting to do it properly. It won't do your reputation any good.
If it doesn't require a tearoff, I would still remove the metal before installing a proper low-slope system. Easy to remove and will make install much easier.

BTW, totally agree with you on the 40.
IF IT REQUIRES A 40' LADDER, IT SHOULD HAVE A DAMN HATCH!!!!!!!

BTW again. Heading over to Fort Stevens end of the month for a little vacation break. Hope the weather holds.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 08-17-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Metal Roof Coating

We have had some success with coatings here in sunny central CA, especially over metal roofs. As with all roofing systems, the devil is in the details and if not done properly, they will cause nothing but headaches later on. A good coating detail guy is worth his weight in gold.

One serious limitation with coating systems is their inability to handle ponding water over a long period of time. Positive drainage is a MUST with coating systems and that isnt always an option. That limitation in and of itself is enough for me to sometimes exclude coatings as an option.

Looking at the pics, I agree with Broken. I think the best thing to do would be to remove the roofing systems down to the deck and start with a new system. I am just shaking my head and muttering as I keep looking at your pics. The termination on the parapet wall is garbage. I would be afraid a new coating system would just be "lipstick on a pig".
Luv2Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Mod

Metal Roof Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post

BTW again. Heading over to Fort Stevens end of the month for a little vacation break. Hope the weather holds.
Well enjoy, I'm a couple hrs. South. Or I should be, stuck in Toto land for a few more months. Not much work on the coast. Nobody spending on their second homes right now, lots of work here, just to damn HOT.

Mo's in Cannon Beach for some good chowder, a must do lunch or dinner.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-18-2010 at 07:30 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Metal Roof Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post

Been there, done that, sat right on the windows. Definitely worth the long-ass wait to get in.
I did the restorations on Yaquina Head Lighthouse also. Took the kids and rented a beachhouse for a week while I was doing that job. Now we decided we wanted to hit a different area. Doesn't matter WHERE you are on the Oregon Coast, it's ALL gorgeous!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Metal Roof Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. We go up to Gearhart for the 4th of July every year and I am always looking for some good clam chowder.
Luv2Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Doing This Way Too Long

Metal Roof Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Roof View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. We go up to Gearhart for the 4th of July every year and I am always looking for some good clam chowder.
You won't be disappointed

Advertisement