Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Metal Roof advice

We have an old farm house and the shingles may have two yrs left...we love the metal roofs.....I know they are a little more expensive.....can anyone give us a little guidance on where to start and what exactly we should be looking for when it comes to this change?....ty

willyoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 514

Metal Roof advice

A little more expensive i don't think so. A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE ABSOLUTELY.One of the guys will pop in with options.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,092

Metal Roof advice

Everything is more than asphalt type shingles. That is why they are popular and so many people wanting to put them on.

A good metal roof is considerably more expensive. You must have the home/neighborhood/application that can handle the extra cost.

Many people want them for architectural or practical purposes. Often they are a real status symbol of and upscale home.

If you look at the price over the long run, considering the life, they may actually be cheaper.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #4

Metal Roof advice

We don't live in a neighborhood, we live in Farm country and most of the houses have them to begin with, metal that is.....and we are not keep up with the Hatfield and McCoy type of folk.....We just like the way they look, and the sound during a healthy rain....

Question for you concretemasonry. What do you mean by home/neighborhood/application?

Also, can anyone tell me what we should be looking for in a Contractor? I can and have done roofing, shingles, before but what particulars should we be concentrating on when it ocmes to Contractors.

I am in the Military, and am leaving in January for a year, leaving my wife to handle the watch on whomever we decide on to do this. We are trying to decide, and will, before I leave on who will do it and what we have installed, I just don't want her to get "B*&% Sh#%*ed" but a lousy contractor.

Thanks again.....
Old 11-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Metal Roof advice

Well, I just bid one out at 1200.00 a square for a batten cap standing seam and got it. It is a mid-range price for this product.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
registered

Rewards Points: 514

Metal Roof advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
Well, I just bid one out at 1200.00 a square for a batten cap standing seam and got it. It is a mid-range price for this product.
CONGRADS AARON
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,092

Metal Roof advice

willy -

When I refered to "home/neighborhood/application", I was refering to the type and price range of metal roofing to consider.

It is the classic problem people have when they go beyond the class and price range of the other homes in the neighborhood. If you "overbuild", you have a hard time getting your money out of the improvement or investment.

There is a wide range of quality, styles and prices of metal roofing. If yours is a replcement because of age and condition, you would be good to stick with similar products or slightl beteer then your neighbors.

You will eventually sell the house and probably with the roof you are installing now. If you pick a much more costly style, you may not get your money out of it when you sell.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
Commercial Roofing

Metal Roof advice

747, it is not a great money maker, but more of an example of what to expect. The material is almost 600 a square and production aint a ton per day when you factor in flashings, apron, crimped apron detail, etc.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
General Contractor

Metal Roof advice

And if you are in a rural country and like the vertical panel style roof, you should be able to get a complete job including removal and installation for the $300 - 400 range. If you were in my neck of the woods, $225 is a workable number to look at, and that is for insurance industry accepted 26 gauge steel roofing.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
diy retard ;)

Rewards Points: 25

Metal Roof advice

i know this isn't super relavent, but when i was up in vermont last week (white river junction area), EVERY house had a metal roof, but up there, it's a necessity due to the snow.

i think metal roofs are slick and i am thinking about going metal with my roof in spring. my neighbor just put a metal roof on his garage and he said that it ended up being slightly *cheaper* than asphalt plus it will last forever. (he installed it himself with a friend.)
><(((jan(((D> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
Commercial Roofing

Metal Roof advice

It is cheaper when you factor in lack of future re-roofing, lack of snow accumulation, lack of critters on it, lack of maintenance, the fire rating, and inflation. You can expect 3-5 times the price of those disgusting asphalt shingles, but a roof is a terrible thing to waste.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #12

Metal Roof advice

to Concetemasonry....This is our retirment home....we knew it needed repairs/upgrades/our flavor added, we will die here....I have ten years until I retire from the military and this is what we have always wanted....small home(1170 sq ft 1st floor living space, 1170 unfinished basement, we are remodeling into family room/play room for the grandkids, and plenty of acreage. Our future goal is to expand two of the bedrooms which are ample right now but only one bathroom in the house we would like to add another for when the kids come home to visit) But I obviously am not %100 sure of what to look for. The exsisting roof is shingles, they have maybe two yrs left on them, there is only one layer. Can we put the metal roof over the shingles? we really want them for practical purposes and for our own enjoyment on those rainy nights on the front porch.

to joasis is there a Guage we should be looking for?

as for the rest of you....is a square in metal roofing the same as in shingles? I/we thought it would be by the sheet....and what is a batten cap standing seam?....I/we thought this basically was some type of insulative material, sheet metal, ridge vent and cover or some type of venting...HA HA....I love this site, it guides, assists, and confuses we laymen......

oh and we live in Cameron NC...am stationed at Ft Bragg.....
Old 11-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
General Contractor

Metal Roof advice

26 gauge is the standard in sheet metal roofing, and pressed or stamped panel systems will be heavier, up to 22 gauge.

A square is a contruction term, not just in roofing, but always means 100 square feet, or a 10 x 10 foot area.

Batten cap is a style or design of a SSR (standing seam roofing) and I have not seen that one, but I think it means each edge is capped with a snap on or mechanically seamed cap, covering the clips. SSR roofs will run 2 times higher typically then a screwed down roof, or a concealed fastener, which is another form of SSR.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote