Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

metal drip edge question& more..

Can anybody tell me if the metal drip edge goes on top of the wood roof deck or on top of the underlayment....including up along the rake? In addition, I have seen some instances where starter shingles are placed up along the rake as well. Is that standard procedure?

jodejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #2

Some will say that metal drip on the eve edge should go on top of underlay, and some will say under the underlay.

Myself, considering metal can sweat, I put a 6" strip of #15 felt along the eve edge, install the drip edge, then put roof underlay on top of the drip.
On the rake edge, put the metal drip edge on top of your underlay product.
And yes, install starters up the rake edge. That's been a standard as long as I have been roofing.

bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 212

If you use rolled starter strip up the rake instead of shingles it will be all one piece and when you look up from below you would not see the seams where the shingles butt together.

Both ways will work.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #4

Thanks guys. BIG help and it all makes perfect sense!!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #5

I would like to expand on this question.
What if you threw in ice & water shield into this mix? Would it be metal drip edge,then one row of ice and water shield along the eve and on top of drip edge..and here is the crux of the question.....then the underlayment. Does the underlayment completely cover the ice & water row...or do you just overlap the underlayment over the top of the ice & water barrier by a certain amount of inches?
If it just gets overlapped ......how many inches is recommended on the overlap? Thanks for any help on this question.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4

they put the starter up the rake to make it look better. its hard to cut the shingles off so perfect that it looks perfect, so with the starter it looks perfect from underside. the metal should go under the felt, does do any good on top. the only reason for putting it on top is being lazy, it will help hold the felt down if it windy before they shingle. i use to do that when i was young and didnt really care. is it going to hurt anything, no, put its not the way to do it, so might as well do it right.

hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote