Measuring New Fascia - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

measuring new fascia

Hello, what is the best way to measure my new fascia before I nail or screw it up? For example, in a perfect world, where the two sides of my house come together at a right angle the angle would be 90 degrees. So then you figure you could cut each one 45 degrees and when you put the two together it would be a perfect fit. But just in case the corner isn't exactly 90 degrees then I'd either have an opening to the outside where the two 45 degree edges don't quite come together (when the corner is less than 90 degrees) or an opening on the inside (when the corner is more than 90 degrees). Is there any set way that the pro's do this? thanks

Advertisement

joefromcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

measuring new fascia

I never cut my fascia at a 45 degree angle unless the total job warrants it. other wise I run one fascia long, sighting it as I nail it off, once straight then you can hold up the other fascia mark and cut then install from the butted end start nailing it off sighting it again as you nail once at the outside corner sight and then nail though the outside one into the inner one. BOB.

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

measuring new fascia

If you are trying to do a compound miter and have little experience, don't bother with it.

Get them either butted up together or do the best that you can and buy a tube or two of Vulkem Caulk. It hardes to a nice strectchy, yet coarse texture after 1-2 days.

Prior to butting the 2 corners together, squeeze a bead of the Vulkem into the dorner, just enought so that it "Slightly" oozes out when the 2 boards get compressed together.

Using a wet finger or a plastic straight edge, wipe the excess caulking off and out of the overflow amount that went beyond the corner.

Let it dry for 1-2 days and then paint it and the new touch up painting on the fascia boards at the same time.

You should do the primary Primer Coat and general Full Coat prior to hanging the boards and make sure they are not still tacky.

You will need to touch up all of your dirty finger prints unless you use surgical, (Bend Over and Cough) gloves.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 81

measuring new fascia

Hello Bob & Ed,
Thank you both for the information.
joefromcal is offline   Reply With Quote