Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #1

Share |

Mastik or mastic for wind lifted shingles?

About 40% of my shingles have lifted and sand and dirt have gotten into the sticky part that keeps the shingles down, so they don't stick anymore.

I've been told I need to put mastic or mastik down under the edge of each shingle, but I don't know what that is, where to get it, what it's like (big double stick tape? Something that goes in a caulk gun?) and probably most importantly what the technique is for repairing shingles that have lost their sticky with it.

The roof is about 3 years old and in great condition save for that and 2 missing shingles.

jage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

WAIT! Your roof should be under warranty. Might not be if you mess with it. Can you call your roofer to remedy the situation?

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #3

The home was purchased 6 months ago... I've already gone rounds about the roof with the previous owner, due to one of those roofers who came around and convinced me I had hail damage. The identity of the roofing company did not come out- it's possible it was a home job or some kind of barter.

Regardless the bridge with the previous owner got torched pretty badly so I doubt I'll get any contact from them. Good thought though!
Old 05-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

In that case, you cant buy roof cement in tubes for any caulk gun. As long as the seal-down strips have not been torn from the face of the shingle, then you can put a dime to penny sized dab under the corner of each tab and press the shingle firmly into it. If you have architectural shingles you can do this every 6" or so.

Remember... a little dab'll do ye.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 05-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Aaron, you mean can in the first line I assume?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

yes, thank you, sorry
Old 05-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #7

So on a Tri-Tab we're talking 6 penny dabs per shingle?

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #8

if you know shingle manufacturer i would talk to them first if its an early failure. couldnt hoit
Old 05-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
Commercial Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
So on a Tri-Tab we're talking 6 penny dabs per shingle?

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Yes, and work from the top down, in a harness, and from the point furthest from the ladder to the ladder, as if to paint yourself out of a room or else you will have the stuff all over ye.