Masonite Siding - Cover Or Replace - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Masonite Siding - Cover or Replace

I'm not looking forward to this project, but this fall (maybe next spring depending on funds) I will be getting new vinyl siding. Currently I have awful masonite siding. A good portion of it is rotted or torn up. There is no reason to try and repair it at this point.

My question is, am I better off just covering up what I can? Or should I tear down all the masonite siding as I go? (I'm not sure if I wanna know what's been going on under the masonite )

And to anyone who has had a similar experience with Masonite to vinyl siding, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

bigbopper180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 145

I would bite the bullet and tear it off, rot spreads. and you can put a modern house wrap on then too.

Advertisement

roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roofermann For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,258

If you are speaking of the Masonite that I remember from 35 years ago, when I started putting up vinyl.

You are going to regret trying to vinyl over it.

Is this the brittle Masonite that shatters, is it in sheets approximately 1 foot high and 2 feet long, Chips easily, shatters when you try to nail through it?

The little broken pieces fall down between the old and the new vinyl and causes bulges, and warps in the new, and you end up taking parts of the new back off to remove the small broken pieces, to smooth out the appearance.

We always advised the homeowner to remove the old Masonite , nearly always those that did not want to "drop the dime" for removal, paid for it after the first wall was up, by having us remove the new and re-starting with a full tear off, and House wrap, then the vinyl.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-11-2014), joecaption (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 662

Masonite long ago had a total class action suite against them for all the failures and someone could have had new siding installed for free.
It's ground up cardboard and soaks up water like a sponge.
It's not going to fall apart as suggested while nailing, but I sure would never install anything over it.
Just face the fact there may be more rot under it. Deal with it and never have to address it again.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,290

+1

Another vote for stripping it.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 29

Here is an example of what I'm dealing with. You can see the rot near the bottom. Hopefully it wont be too much of an issue to put off the residing until early next year. I just dont think I'll have the funds this year.

Advertisement

bigbopper180 is offline   Reply With Quote