DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   Many ROOFING Questions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/many-roofing-questions-1870/)

jelisak 02-14-2006 12:02 AM

Many ROOFING Questions
 
I just bought a house near Ft. Lauderdale. It has a damaged roof. I'm wondering about the differences between the following:
  • GAFMC Timberline40 vs Owens Corning Supreme AR vs CertainTeed, which would you reommend and why?
  • What is 3 tab shingles? What other kinds are there? One company is quoting 3 tab (Owens Corning) and another is using Dimensional/Architectural (GAFMC).
  • What questions of the contractor should I ask? I've asked if they are BBB registered, licensed, bonded, and insured. Should I ask if they are a "Master roofer"? Is there such a certification?
  • What's the preferred vent? Ridge or Box? Does it make a difference on the appearance of the home? They want to charge more for ridge.
  • The quotes I'm getting are running between $13,000 and $16,000. But I don't know how many square feet the roof is. Under air we have about 2200 sq ft.
  • Do roofers usually install the gutters and replace rotten wood and damaged areas where the screen was ripped off?
  • Do you recommend a white shingle roof? I am afraid it wont stay white for very long.
  • What would you recommend I have installed - if it was your house or your mom's house?
If possible, can you recommend any companies down in Ft. Lauderdale?

Appreciate it.

bob the builder 02-14-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelisak
I just bought a house near Ft. Lauderdale. It has a damaged roof. I'm wondering about the differences between the following:
  • GAFMC Timberline40 vs Owens Corning Supreme AR vs CertainTeed, which would you reommend and why?
  • What is 3 tab shingles? What other kinds are there? One company is quoting 3 tab (Owens Corning) and another is using Dimensional/Architectural (GAFMC).
  • What questions of the contractor should I ask? I've asked if they are BBB registered, licensed, bonded, and insured. Should I ask if they are a "Master roofer"? Is there such a certification?
  • What's the preferred vent? Ridge or Box? Does it make a difference on the appearance of the home? They want to charge more for ridge.
  • The quotes I'm getting are running between $13,000 and $16,000. But I don't know how many square feet the roof is. Under air we have about 2200 sq ft.
  • Do roofers usually install the gutters and replace rotten wood and damaged areas where the screen was ripped off?
  • Do you recommend a white shingle roof? I am afraid it wont stay white for very long.
  • What would you recommend I have installed - if it was your house or your mom's house?
If possible, can you recommend any companies down in Ft. Lauderdale?

Appreciate it.

Saying certainteed is a company name they have many style shingles. Timberline40 are 40 year shingles that are out east somewhere. Owens corning is my guess the cheapest shingle of the bunch and 3 tab. 3 tab is a style of shingle. Another popular choice is architechual that look like shake. Go look on any website and look at the pictures. Ridge vent IMO looks and works better then a box. Most roofers also do gutters....

Bob

MJW 02-15-2006 08:03 AM

Throw the bid away from the guy that was going to install 3 tab Owens Corning. They are complete garbage.

I would go with the Certainteed arch. myself, but the GAF's aren't bad if they are arch's and not 3 tabs. "Mater Roofer" is a made up name by shingle companies. You pay them a fee then you can become a "Master Roofer". Bunch of BS if you ask me.
Allow a little room in your price as the contractor sometimes can't see every piece of rotten wood. I would fix all the rotten wood, but some just cover it with coil wrap. I would suggest getting a company that is not a paper contractor. Get a guy that is the owner and also does the work. I feel you get a little better close attention.
Also, ask for references.

AaronB 02-15-2006 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJW
"Mater Roofer" is a made up name by shingle companies. You pay them a fee then you can become a "Master Roofer". Bunch of BS if you ask me.

Although this may may be true on the residential side, the commercial end requires no money, but you have to be approved and pass the required installation inspections by the mfg's.

Teetorbilt 02-15-2006 05:57 PM

I talked with my bro-in-law (2nd gen. GC in Ft. Laud., mostly commercial) His response was 'if you can get a reputable co., grab them'. The price does seem ridiculous but if you don't pay it, the next guy in line will.

If you can swing it, go metal. It will add to your value AND stay put under most circumstances. It's what I re-roofed with. I went with Century Drain Classic rib, see here http://www.stockyardsupply.com/page25/metalindex.html in mill finish. It's a UL class 4 material so notify your ins. co., you should be eligible for a discount. The extra ribs add strength and prevent the 'oil-canning' that you will see on 5V and standing seam roofs.

AaronB 02-16-2006 07:19 AM

Teetor,

Do they warrant the finish (mill) in your salt air environment?

jelisak 02-16-2006 07:21 AM

Metal Roof?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
If you can swing it, go metal. It will add to your value AND stay put under most circumstances. It's what I re-roofed with. I went with Century Drain Classic rib, see here http://www.stockyardsupply.com/page25/metalindex.html in mill finish. It's a UL class 4 material so notify your ins. co., you should be eligible for a discount. The extra ribs add strength and prevent the 'oil-canning' that you will see on 5V and standing seam roofs.

Thanks to everyone who's responded. 3-Tab is out. Likely to go with Timberline40 year Dimensional. However, I would like to know more about METAL ROOFING nowt at Teetorbilt has raised that possibility.
  1. Will it hold up in a hurricane compared to shingles?
  2. I presume from "if you can swing it" that it is more expensive. How much more expensive? The website said $68 per 100 sq feet (does that include all the finishing items needed?). I think I was quoted $45 to $55/100 sq. for Timberline 40 Dimensional shingles.
Thanks

MJW 02-16-2006 07:57 AM

Typically, metal costs about 3-5 times what shingles cost for material and labor. I have not installed it yet and not sold on it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved