Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
keeping things simple

Rewards Points: 75

Manufactures date on 3 tab shingles

Hi,
I recently re-shingled my roof with 3 tab 25yr shingles. While doing the project I noticed the condition of the shingles was not what I would expect from new shingles. I kept on going, got 3/4's of the way through and learned that there are manufacturers dates stamped on each bundle of shingles. I checked the bundles I had left and was shocked to see that some were dated Jan2007 but the majority I believe were dated Oct2010.
I went back to the vendor and checked the bundles on the pallet and they were dated Oct2010.

Basically I installed shingles that were any where from 3 to almost 7yrs old already.

I am left with little recourse.

All I can do is pass this information on to others and hope you don't fall in the same trap as me.

If you're doing your roof with 3 tab ashphalt/fibreglass (not sure what they're made of now) shingles be sure to check the date on the bundles to ensure you get new shingles. Why? If you don't you could be getting old shingles and those shingles, if stored out side in the weather, will likely have been damaged by heating and cooling through the seasons, and also by being stacked to high. I can tell from the shingles I just put on that the condition was far from new. You don't have to be an expert to see the difference.

Learn something everyday.

As you can see the shingles were made in Canada, where I live. Maybe it's not an issue in the US... but I noticed the shingles were not the best and had I know they were old from the get go I wouldn't have bought them.
Attached Thumbnails
Manufactures date on 3 tab shingles-img_0010.jpg  

Last edited by frankm1960; 08-15-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Add info
frankm1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
keeping things simple

Rewards Points: 75

Well I found some shingles dated 09Aug2013, enough to do the workshop. So at least the workshop will have fresh new shingles

frankm1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Dallas Roofing Company

Rewards Points: 10

That is unfortunate but a common situation. I have had run into that in the past and had my distributor out there to pay for the replacement. Labor and material. Each distributor has different rules that they abide by but I spend a lot of money there every year and I have a great relationship with them. So they paid for it. The date is very important. Based on the batch the shingles were made in you could have slightly different shades of the same color on your roof.

Devin Mahdi

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-20-2013 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Removed Link
Dallas-Roofing is offline   Reply With Quote