DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

making starters from Arch. Shingles

34K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  NewHeights 
#1 · (Edited)
I started the roof today, got about 25% (about 4 square) tore off and underlayment applied. I also tore my chimney down and redecked over it, which was sort of a pain since it was in a valley...and replaced some rotten decking on my eave.

To my question: I ordered almost all of my materials from Oregon Roofers Supply, and I asked for 100 feet of starter strips...but they gave me a bundle of architectural shingles and a bundle of hip and ridge shingles to use as starter strips (apparently, "most people like that cause it saves money"). The hip and ridge shingles could be used as starters just like 3-tabs, since there is a tar strip in the right location...but there are also perforated from top to bottom every 8 inches or so, which doesn't seem desirable for my starter course.

But I cannot figure out a reasonable way to use the architectural shingles as starters. If you cut the exposed portion off and then flip them over (like you would for a 3 tab), the tar strip on the first course of shingles (which is preapplied on the bottom, about 1 inch from the bottom edge of the exposed portion) will line up directly with the strip of plastic on the cut and flipped starter, which will obviously not seal properly.

The only way I could think to make it work would be to cut the exposed portion off, then apply the unexposed part as a starter strip without flipping, but this leaves my cut edge as the leading edge, and it takes a lot of effort and time to make that cut perfectly straight.

My conclusion is that they had extra shingles they knew they couldn't sell and figured I might not notice, since I was obviously a newcomer to roofing.

Am I missing something?

See less See more
#2 ·
On my own roofing projects, I cut the exposure off of the starter shingles using the cellophane strip on the back of the shingle as a guideline for the cut. I simple utility knife works well for this. I've used 3-tab shingles in the same manner, which are a bit less expensive.

I prefer having the proper seal on the leading edge of the roof.:thumbsup:

#4 ·
I figured that using the cellophane strip would be an option for making a relatively straight cut, but the bundle they gave me for starters is a cheap 30 year, and for whatever reason doesn't have that strip of cellophane on the back. I would use the nail guide lines but they aren't very straight anyways. I am debating whether or not I'm going to go buy a pre made starter strip this morning.

And yes, I know these are starters...I checked the order when I got home on thursday and there was a bundle of odd colored hip and ridge, and a bundle of white 30 yr., these were in addition to the 19 square of black lifetime shingles. I called them cause I was expecting starter strips, they said to use these, but it wasn't until I tried making a starter out of them that I realized it would be a pain (relative to pre cut starters).

Thanks to you both

#5 ·
Those cap shingles (Malarkey Hip & Ridge) are like the Certainteed ShadowRidge, a 4 piece perforated shingle. Don't use them lol. And don't use your Highlanders either. Go and buy more starters, even some 3-tabs if you can't buy "starter shingles" and cut the tabs off.

#7 ·
Those cap shingles (Malarkey Hip & Ridge) are like the Certainteed ShadowRidge, a 4 piece perforated shingle. Don't use them lol.

That's funny Demon.,But UI did have a crew that used Tamko Hip $ Ridge for starters once.

When the roof was ready for the final ridge application I got a call that they were short on ridge.I was clueless because I always order an extra bundle of ridge in case of any damaged taps within the bundles.

Having never missed ridge count I went to deliver the H$R myself.Sure enough they had 3 bundles of 3-tabs left but no ridge.Not thinking anyone could be that dense to cut up perforated tabs I pulled back the rake line and sure enough.,Individual H&R starter tabs.

Needless to say they replaced the entire perimeter with starters and bought the ridge themselves out of the final bill.I pay for accidents but not stupidity.

BTW it just dawned on me who you were.,nice to see you here.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

#10 ·
I wonder...who's it saving money to use half dimensional and half ridgecap to start their roof? It sounds like they were trying to unload some old stuff they couldn't sell and hoped you wouldn't notice.

If you're going to use the ridge, just make sure your seams are offset with the perforations, and with dimensional just cut the double layered part off and put the cellophane down so the shingle sticks. It should work fine, but still not ideal.

#13 ·
The guy said he charged me nine dollars a bundle for the leftovers, versus 25 dollars per bundle times two for the regular starters. I am going to insist they take the odds and ends back and credit me without a re stocking free, since I specifically asked for starters, and got confirmation on that at least twice. We got a bundle of gaf starters from home depot for forty bucks, which covers 120 feet...I only need 100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.