Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Share |

Maintenance Free Gutter

Hello, after our recent storm I thought I should clean out the gutters since water wasn't flowing down the down spout. I have the wire mesh gutter guards on my gutters. As I looked into my gutter there was like 2 inches of muck in there.

I would like to remove them and leave the top of my gutters open and just clean them out more regularly. Having the gutter guards probably quadrupled the time i spent cleaning them out. Pretty much have to take them off and them put them back on.

With these mesh screens, they clip onto the front and slide under the first layer of shingles pushing the shingles up. If I remove the guards the shingles are bent up and look bad. Would the shingles ever lay back down or will they be permanently like that. The shingles would still function properly its mostly just looks.

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #2

Maintenance Free Gutter

The shingles should relax back to their original positions. Being warm now, it shouldnt take too long
Depending on the type of trees you have gutter guards may not be a good option for you,even the most expensive systems fail to pine needles.

PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
jburchill (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #3

Maintenance Free Gutter

Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll take a few off and see if they lay normal and then see how they look before I take the rest off.

We get a lot of those helicopter seeds, not sure what they are called.lol

but thanks for your advise
jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

Maintenance Free Gutter

I've seen quite a few houses with gutters guards with clogged gutters. And then I know people who love them. I guess it depends on your area/trees. Around here...they appear to clog easily. I am pretty sure those helicopter seeds are from maples. We have tons of them. A leaf blower and 20 minutes on the roof cleans our gutters right up.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote