Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #1

Share |

lowering temp in garage by venting thru attic

our garage still gets hotter'n a 3 pecker'd billygoat in the summer despite a new insulated garage door thinking i can exhaust the heat by making a grill in the ceiling/pull-down stairs & letting gravity send it up into the attic,,, unsure if the ridge/1 gable vent will resolve the problem,,, maybe i'm just adding more heat to the attic under the 3yr old roof ? there is a garage refrigerator (freezer space, wtr, & beer)

is the best solution blocking the gable vent & adding a power'd roof vent on a temp-controll'd on/off circuit + a grill thru the pull-down stairs which is access to the attic ?

thanks, guys !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #2

Is there any soffit vents?
A ridge vent will vent the whole roof not just one end like a gable vent, or a circle like a powered vent.
No vent will be very effective without a soffit vent for make up air.
How much insulation is in the ceiling?
Has the ceiling been air sealed?
Any air conditioning in this garage?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #3

good morning, joe,,, yep, we have soffit vents - 4 15"x3" w/30' of soffit,,, are they sufficient for the task ? probably not but there's also 1 10"w x 3' tall gable vent on 1 end.

previous to the new roof, we had the gable vent & 3 static roof vents & a hot garage in afternoon sun & still hot in evening,, i'd hoped the ridge vent would resolve the issue but it hasn't,,, no insulation in attic ceiling OR attic floor [garage ceiling],,, come to think of it, its wasn't standard work NOR code to insulate garage walls in atl 35yrs ago

air sealed ? whaddat ? have no idea if there's excess air infiltration in the attic if that's what you mean,,, underneath in the garage, a new insulated garage door w/good gaskets

no a/c in the garage - just the heater (fridge)

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 06-30-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
DIY staff

Post a picture of the roof venting---if you have a ridge vent and gable vent and mushroom vents---the air might not be getting sucked into the soffits----

remember---vents at the bottom (soffits) and vents at the top---convection==

vented as you described is not so good----the ridge vent may be pulling in fresh air from the other roof vents and not the soffit vents,leaving hot stagnant air below the roof vents.

Kind of like having a hole in the side of a drinking straw----
joecaption (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Any insulation boss?

If not, that will help with the temperature variation to start with.

After that, a solar attic fan will help pull some air while not exactly proper for ventilation. It will short circuit the ridge vent slightly, it will pull some more air and we aren't really worried about moisture in this case from a venting standpoint.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Pull your stirs down for the day. See if the garage gets cooler/cool enough for you. then you will know if you need to do more venting work in the attic or not. Plus, in no air can get into the garage, your not going to have its heat go into the attic.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #7

see your point, mike - nope, no more mushroom vents,,, will try leaving the stairs down for the day & blocking the gable vent,,, suspect the garage'll still be hot but perhaps i'm wrong about that

plan b may be installing a garage ceiling grill & duct it to timer-controll'd power'd roof vent

convection or gravity, mike ? thought convection needed fluid (antifreeze, wtr, etc) to transfer whereas gravity's hot air rises & leaves a void which's fill'd by cooler air,,, cool air's lower & heavier than hot,,, or did i f this up, too ? think i slept thru physics class that day

Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

I'd leave the gable vent open/unblocked. You want the attic to remove as much air as possible, so the rest of the house doesn't warm up.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Convection. Is the movement of any media due to temperature gradient/difference. Weather the media be a liquid or a vapor(air as an example).

Think, convection oven.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
DIY staff

Now don't start using big words
Gravity is why my chest has slipped to my waist---

your place is hot---have you thought of adding a whole house fan to the ceiling? They suck in a lot of cool outside air---
Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #11

been, its only for today,,, the garage/house passage door separates a/c space from the hot garage,,, new hvac last yr so living space's fine

if everyone's saying airflow's the key, we're all on the same page
gotten good hints from you guys - THANKS !

mike, the garage's on a slab built as an ' L ' to the full bsmt main structure,,, ceiling fan's not nec for living space as we use a/c in atlanta

will let you know how it turns out

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 06-30-2013 at 09:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

If you close off the gable vent. Your attic vents/sofit vents probably won't move enough air for the rest of the attic to stay as cool as it should. Which will make your A/C work harder/run longer.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #13

08.00pm - results of 1day's test,,, w/insulated garage door shut, wall thermometer on sunny side of garage is 86f,,, thermometer 1/2 up the pull-down stairs reads 80f,,, another in the attic at 5' elevation shows 90f seems to me i recall attic temps shouldn't exceed 140f to allow the roof max performance but i could be wrong cheap 18"x18" box fan, hangin' on 2 nails, has been running for 4hrs exhausting thru 10"w x 3'tall end gable.

no idea if ridge/soffit vents're working & i don't care all's i know is its cooler both down & up now to build an adapter for a box fan so the 2.25sf box fan blows out a 2.5sf vent,,, cfm's aren't a concern - i'm not that anal,,, then we'll jury-rig a timer/temp switch on that circuit... thought you guys might like to know results,,, not about to tear out finished garage walls to install insulation when i can run a fan for $2 a month,,, 'sides, we're only here for another 5yrs - 5yrs x 4hot months x $2 month = $40,,, hell, that's only 6 happy meals over 5yrs,, ,,, just another walk in the park - i can do that in a heartbeat

Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Is there a window you can open to let more cool air into the garage.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #15

if there were, i wouldda done it by now nope, the garage window's fix'd lites,,, the only air in would be opening the overhead garage door a couple inches,,, anyway, the window faces the sun