Low Slope Roofing - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

low slope roofing

I live in calgary and need to do a re roof on my house, it would sure be nice to know the best thing to put on my 1/12 roof?

Advertisement

pugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

low slope roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugo
I live in calgary and need to do a re roof on my house, it would sure be nice to know the best thing to put on my 1/12 roof?
Pictures please

Advertisement

flatroofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

low slope roofing

Probably some kind of torch-down roofing membrane or at the least a roll roofing.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

low slope roofing

it really depends on the size of the project and amount you are willing to budget. You are now going to get a million suggestions depending on the respondent's preference.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

low slope roofing

I do never recommend torch down roofing for an amateur DIY'er. Please for your sake pick somethign else so you don't burn down your house. Also remember that there is no forgiveness on a flat roof. if you make on mistake it will leak.

Learn more about your flat roofing options: Low Slope Roofing

Not knowing anything about the project it's hard to make a recommendation. I personally prefer thermoplastic membranes like PVC and TPO however it takes specialized equipment and a little bit of know how. Therefore when it comes to DIYers I usually suggest self adhering modified bitumen. It's EZ to install, it is expensive, but it's a little bit harder to make a mistake. I also often recommend EPDM for the DIYer because it's easier to install then the PVC or TPO. EPDM will be a little bit cheaper than the SA Mod Bit, but takes a little more know how.

Keep in mind that the roof is a SYSTEM. This means more than just the membrane. Do you need insulation, cover board, ventilation, specialty flashings? Is a tear off necessary? The considerations for low slope roofing options are numerous.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,034

low slope roofing

Pictures would be a great help here.

Advertisement

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote