DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Low slope roof replacement?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  skidude 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering your guys' thoughts on the following roof. House is a 1 story ranch that is 1692sqft.

Roof is in need of some help. Back is leaking (If I can figure out how to post pictures, note the tarp) into one 3 season sun room that was put on as an addition. No other apparent leaks. I have not been up into the attic yet though... Also you will may be able to see the moss growing on the front corner of the roof (far side of the picture).

I'm thinking the roof will need to be replaced either now or soon. Not sure that it is something I would do myself or not...

I have considered standing seam, which seems very $$, but may be the best option. I have read a little about other options but not really sure...

I did not have a chance to measure the roof. In the back it starts as the same slope as the front, and then flattens out as it breaks over the sun room.

Thoughts??

See Pictures http://www.diychatroom.com/members/skidude-150018/albums/roof/ http://community.webshots.com/album/582717614kfGcnc

See less See more
#4 ·
Have you noticed all the homes in your area going to metal roofs?
Last time I was there it looked like almost everyone had given up on shingles and had all gone metal.
There's plenty of metal roofs with a 75 year warrenty on the finish.
May cost more at first but will save having to redo the roof again for a very long time.
Those shingles you have now are just cheap 3 tab shingles, with that low a slope if I was installing the shigles I would have used Storm and Ice shield on the whole roof and Arcutecual shingles and run them with less exposure if I was going to shingle the roof.
I'd be also be looking up in the attic and air sealing and making sure I had R-50 of insulation up there.

#7 ·
No exposed fastner to leak with standing seam.
Please do not just go buy some cheap box store roofing.
I would not suggest DIYing a standing seam roof, your not likly to have the tools needed, or the know how on how to seal around the vents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.