DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

low slope roof question

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  the roofing god 
#1 ·
any help would be appreciated i am not a roofer :laughing: .my question i have a low slope roof bldg 40' long 20' wide roof slopes one block or 8" side to side with 2 blocks above that on front and side wall i am considering roll roofing and cementing it right to the deck with about 6-8" overlap and well cemented and flashing cut into the block or under the cap tiles on top currently leaking bad and i am not a roofer but wondered what advise you can give me as to whether im on track or all wet thx:eek:

#2 ·
Use a professional product. Modified bitumen, PVC, EPDM, SPF, etc. The roll roofing products do not fare well except as landfill.

#4 ·
I Have a dormer with 1 foot rise per 12 foot run - Roll roofing applied as per instructions with felt, 19" overlap, etc lasted 4 - 5 years (twice) before leaking, bubbles showed up earlier. Frustated, on the last replacement, I skipped the felt and applied the roll roofing directly to the plywood with full coverage of roof adhesive patch on a 90 degree day in the sun (the goop was hot enough to be runny like the thinner roof coating normally is). No bubbles or leaks after ten years, only the typical loss of the gravel. Of course when it does need replacing, the plywood will also have to be replaced, but for an extra hundred dollars who cares if it lasts three times plus as long as long. I did use a 19" overlap, so there is double coverage, but at least the roofing material is glued to something solid instead of just tar paper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.