Low Slope Roof Options... - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Low slope roof options...

I currently have a flat rubber roof that is about 18 years old. The roof actually is concave and always has a big puddle in the middle when it rains until it gets high enough to spill over the edge into the gutter.

However, I have about 8 inches of slope if I install the new roof just below the windowseal against the house. The problem is that the length from the house is about 20 feet so the slope is really low.

Any ideas on what to use ? I don't like the idea of putting a new rubber roof on. Can I use a steel roof with a slight pitch?

The seams on the rubber roof are starting to flap around and I am concerned that water damage will occur if I don't do something soon.

Any idease would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Blackhawk15108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk15108 View Post
I currently have a flat rubber roof that is about 18 years old. The roof actually is concave and always has a big puddle in the middle when it rains until it gets high enough to spill over the edge into the gutter.

However, I have about 8 inches of slope if I install the new roof just below the windowseal against the house. The problem is that the length from the house is about 20 feet so the slope is really low.

Any ideas on what to use ? I don't like the idea of putting a new rubber roof on. Can I use a steel roof with a slight pitch?

The seams on the rubber roof are starting to flap around and I am concerned that water damage will occur if I don't do something soon.

Any idease would be greatly appreciated.
There are mechanically seamed standing metal roof systems that are availabe down to a 1/4:12 slope.

Advertisement

rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I just had a roof put on my new porch roof. It has a 2/12 pitch.
This roof has 2 parts. The first layer is nailed down with standard shingle nails. This layer has a waxed paper on it, that is pulled off, leaving its sticky surface exposed.
The second layer has the same waxed paper covering its sticky surface also.
The 2nd layer is spread out over the first layer and then folded back on itself, lengthwise. It backing is removed, and then it is rolled back over the exposed 1st layer.
After that is rolled down, the other end is rolled back, allowing its paper to be stripped off! And in turn, roled back over the 1st layer.
The second layer has its top surface covered with protective grit.
I had a contractor install this, as I am not a roofer, by any means!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #4

Sounds like you have a slang in the roof.I would recommend EPDM,you may have to build up the low areas with ISO Board.The seams sound like there showing some age but not a big issue unless its peeled beyound the lap.The seals on the window shouldn't be an issue for a roofer.

Last edited by Ron Smith Const; 06-08-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Ron Smith Const is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #5

Epdm or (rubber) is your best bet. Since your original roof was installed seaming technology has improved greatly with the use of inseam tapes.
You could install some tapered insulation in the depression to relieve some of the ponding but I wouldn't recommend raising the roof to the window sill. Keep it as far below the window as possible.
A little ponded water wont hurt the epdm at all.
BornaRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote