Which Low Slope Materials Are Homeowner Repairable? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Which Low Slope Materials are Homeowner repairable?

What types of roofing materials (for low sloped roofs) can a homeowner maintain and repair themselves?

feel free to elaborate a little, thanks.

Advertisement

Basic_Homeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 586

Depends on your knowledge of roofing. What is the pitch of the roof? Many ranches don't go any lower then a 4/12. If it is lower than that you would probably be talking about rolled roofing.

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

best DIY flat roofing to install is GAF Liberty sheet, Certainteed Flintlastic or Polyglass Elastoflex. There all similar and install like putting down I&W.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Do you like the Liberty, Jim? I have always beed afraid of the non-welded seam. I won't even install SBS mop systems.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Hi again and thanks for everyone's feedback.

My roof has a 1 to 12 pitch.

I plan to pay a professional roofer to install the roof, I just want to be able to repair it myself (since not all warranties last 10 -20 years, nor can I be sure the roofer will still be around). If a protrusion leaks, will there be a 'user-friendly' patch to seal on (EPDM?), or caulk that can be used, or roof coating (Rolled roofing / modified bitumen)? If the flashing/rake has problems, will I be able to repair myself. When a seams starts to seperate / come undone, I want to be able to go to a hardware store, buy some material, and fix it to extend the life of the roof. On the EPDM, can the basic homeowner repair any tears near the termination bar, or at a seam?

By the way, are roofers that know modified bitumen worth double the price of a roofer who installs peel-and-stick GAF Liberty? both offer 10 year roof material warranty.

Aaron, why are you , "afraid of the non-welded seam" of liberty? Will it blow off in the wind? Anyone know how to prevent? Maybe some occassional maintenance with caulk/sealant/cement?

thanks again, you are all a big help!
Basic_Homeowner is offline   Reply With Quote