Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

Looking for a roofer's opinion

Looking for someone who knows to evaluate the workmanship of a roofing job we are having done. Have several photos. The construction company says everything is done with acceptable levels, the shingle manufacturer's documentation suggests that's no so.

If someone would look at this photo and give me an opinion, we will know if we need to pursue it.

The manufacturer says that 1) the nail line (white line) should not be visibile and 2) the next course of shingles should come down and meet the shadow line of the previous row.

All opinions would be welcome. More pictures are available.

Thanks alot!

kwill1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
renovations

Bad roofing. The warranty on the shingles will be void due to someone 'learning how' on your roof. Sorry.

I'd be curious to see where they nailed them, I suspect they high nailed in which case they are going to be prone to blow-off.

Last edited by Bonus; 08-02-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:42 AM   #3

What makes this worse is that this was done by a professional construction company. They are claiming this job is within acceptable levels.

We are trying to figure out what our options are.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:49 AM   #4

Unacceptable!!!

Do you have a left over bundle with the wrapping on it?
The wrapping usually has the installation instructions on it.
Have you emailed this photo to the manufacturer?
Take more photos for any further legal action.
Lift up the tabs and see where they nailed the shingles. The nails should go thru the thick part of the shingle and if it is nailed high then it will void the warranty.
The wrapping should also tell how many nails per shingle and where the nails should be located for warranty coverage.
If you have wind damage further down the road then your insurance company may not cover the roof damage due to improper installation.
Does a your area require ice/water shield on the lower section? If so, check to see if it has been installed.

You should get a new roof.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Commercial Roofing

Absolutely unacceptable for all the reasons mentioned here.

I hate to say it since youve had this happen to you, but this is a classic example of CONSTRUCTION companies dabbling where they dont belong....on the roof. Roofing companies do roofing, others are jacks of all trades, masters of none.

Dont go with construction or Exteriors type companies...they just dont have the expertise needed to handle your roofing situations.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #6

Aaron, I consider myself a residental exterior type company. Although I am constintly reading, researching, listening to you guys (perferably Grumpy) and certifying myself in different products and areas such as windows, siding, and roofing. It's hard to specialize in one trade in a community of about 4,500 with no large cities in a 120 mile radius. You guys wouldn't believe all the Jacks of All in my area, so I chose to at least specialize and try to sell myself in exterior. By the way I agree the roof looks horrible.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #7

Just kidding about the Grumpy deal, all you guys seem pretty sharp.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
Commercial Roofing

No, no, Grumpy is a very good roofing personality.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
General Contractor

Aaron only gripes about me matt, we love to disagree. I see no reason Kwill why you will not win a roof replacement in court if you pursue the hack that did the install. "Within acceptable levels" is not a contractor's determination. You have no warranty since the install is not correct....get some good photos with a film camara, and lawyer up, you have a case.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #10

Thanks to all of you for your opinions. Not only do we appreciate your expertise, but it made us feel better that people who know more than we do agree with us about the workmanship.

We are in the process of getting our ducks in a nice, tidy row and will be, uh, chatting with the construction company in question in the next couple of days.

You'd think they'd own up to the fact that they've done a crappy job, but I'm not hopeful given their attitude to date.

Thanks again.

I'll post a resolution when we have one.

Last edited by kwill1229; 08-07-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #11
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

I know I'm jumping in late, but:

That is a HORRIBLE Roofing job! It definitily DOES look like someone 'learned how to' on that job....seriously! (Even tho, they learned it wrong)
That is so amateur, it's pathetic that they are saying it is in acceptable parameters. I'd be ashamed to put my company name on that.

Lastly: I'm sorry, that is NO contruction Company, that is Joe Hack job.
No legitamate construction company doesn't know how to put on a roof.
We don't do roof contracting, but we do the roofs on our own projects and have half a clue....the company that did that, should be banned from doing roofs of any kind.

If that is acceptable to them, then I wonder what their other non-roof projects look like???!!

-My rant-
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #12

I recently posted about a bad roofing installation. Things are heating up (threats of liens, calling us deadbeats, etc.) and we're just getting started.

When we told the owner that we had an independent inspector come out and look at the upper roof, and he got hostile.

The inspector was practically speachless. He said he's seen jobs like this before...from a guy and two buddies getting up on the roof after beer & ribs on a Saturday afternoon. Super....

The owner is pressuring us to complete this transaction. We've already paid 1/3 of the amount owed. We would have settled this already if it was a proper job. We figure it will be harder to get the job done right or get a refund if the entire amount has been paid. Here's additional pictures for your review.

Any suggestions on how to proceed as this gets nastier? Are we obliged to let this company repair/redo the work they did wrong in the first place? 100_3305 - arrow is pointing to an unsealed razor slit the length of the shingle. 100_3310 - shingle over dormer not v cut to relieve stress...has already split. 100_3312 - big chunk out of shingle probably from someone walking on it when hot. Exposure measurement -- way off. 100_3318- downslope by box vent. Shingle not properly secured, exposed nails.
Thanks.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #13

Did you get a written report from the independent inspector?

If it were me, then I would withhold the remaining money due the so-called roofer. Why should the roofer get money when the job has not been performed in a professional manner?

Get 2 or 3 other written estimates to have the roof replaced properly.
Then send copies to the so-called roofer and have them pay you the difference.

Was this a complete tear-off?

Is this just one layer of shingles currently on the roof?

Did they install new plywood?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #14

Waiting on a written report.

It was a complete tear off. It was written in the contract that they would replace any of the deck that needed to be replaced. Who knows? We know of at least one instance (on the front porch roof) where they replaced a 9" wide section with 7" wide particle board. Nobody would believe us when we said the roof was soft. They told us that architectural shingle just feel different. When we had them walk the roof, they said they'd replace it. We're getting the same treatment on the other issues..."don't worry about it, it's fine".
Old 08-14-2006, 06:23 PM   #15
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB
Absolutely unacceptable for all the reasons mentioned here.

I hate to say it since youve had this happen to you, but this is a classic example of CONSTRUCTION companies dabbling where they dont belong....on the roof. Roofing companies do roofing, others are jacks of all trades, masters of none.

Dont go with construction or Exteriors type companies...they just dont have the expertise needed to handle your roofing situations.
Exactly!
Most of the time it is carpenters that are out of work that do this. My neighbor just did the same thing and hired a caprenter to do his roof. He went with them instead of me because they could be there the next week. Anyone who gets there that fast is obviously slow and there's a reason for that.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote