Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Share |

looking for effective repairs to get me by.

My family and I got lucky and have come into ownership of a trailer for free earlier this month. Upon initial inspection things didn't look too bad as far as roof repair. After tearing off the asphalt and roofing cement to see what the full problem was and to put a fresh layer of sealant on I realized that things were much worse. Near the center of the roof there is a very rusted spot with four good sized holes. Also I have noticed that much of the metal is no longer laying as it should nor fastened to the wood like it originally was. from this i gather that water was leaking through to under the tar, cement, asphalt and the metal and then running along beneath it to other parts of the roof where other leaks are happening. I purchased two 4.75 gal cans of roof cement, but i honestly do not think this will help at all due to the severity of the problem. I have intentions to save up through winter and from my taxes to completely redo the roof once rain season ends next spring. until then I am looking for a reliable solution to get me through the winter and the worst part of the rain. I currently have about 1/4 of the roof cemented and will most likely finish it before fall fully sets in. after spending a week removing the previous mentioned materials I didn't have the energy to finish sealing before the rain set in for off and on the the last week. i tried to patch the major holes, but obviously there is more to it that that.

my current idea is to finish the sealing on the outside of the roof because there are hundreds of nail holes which go straight through to the interior and (since I have had to tear out nearly all of the ceiling due to mold and other water damage I am thinking of getting lengths of wood cut to size and patching the leaky areas from the inside with this and sealing it there also. I have a limited time to get this accomplished and limited funds from paying rents and security deposits. Any suggestions would be welcome and thank you.

darkknight2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

I'd buy those heavy-duty silver-brown tarps and cover it over and weight it down with tires.
Cleaning that useless cement up to do anything later will be an epic chore.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Oh, I forgot. NAil 2x4's or similar around the edges. 3-4 nails per every 10-12' is enough unless you live right on the coast.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote