Looking For Advice On Roof Repair - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Looking for advice on roof repair

I recently did an inspection of my roof from the outside and I can see several places where I have cracked tiles as well as tiles that are "lifting". Obviously the cracked tiles need to be replaced, but what about the lifting ones, what is the proper way to fix these, and how much lifting is acceptable? See attached pictures for reference. Can anyone provide a ballpark estimate for what this kind of repair would cost? It's a 1700 sq ft, single story house, simple cross gable, with part of the ceiling vaulted but everywhere there is an attic. There is no evidence of any leaking from inside the attic or inside the house. Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice on roof repair-p4140240.jpg   Looking for advice on roof repair-p4140242.jpg   Looking for advice on roof repair-p4140243.jpg   Looking for advice on roof repair-p4140244.jpg   Looking for advice on roof repair-p4140245.jpg  

Looking for advice on roof repair-p4140246.jpg  

Advertisement

Nathan356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

Few more pics of problem areas
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice on roof repair-p4140247.jpg   Looking for advice on roof repair-p4140249.jpg   Looking for advice on roof repair-p4140251.jpg   Looking for advice on roof repair-p4140256.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Attached Images

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

Its not lifting enough to worry about it. Not sure what product that is, i'd be conerned about break them while trying to fix what to me is not an issue. Its a wood shake look and most wood shake roofs in Cal have far more "lifting" than that.

There is no way to put a number on it sitting in a chair at the PC, you would need to know the product cost, how many are broken and factor in how much labor to charge depending on how many need replacing.

Looks familiar but the name eludes me, what product is that?
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
Its not lifting enough to worry about it. Not sure what product that is, i'd be conerned about break them while trying to fix what to me is not an issue. Its a wood shake look and most wood shake roofs in Cal have far more "lifting" than that.

There is no way to put a number on it sitting in a chair at the PC, you would need to know the product cost, how many are broken and factor in how much labor to charge depending on how many need replacing.

Looks familiar but the name eludes me, what product is that?
Thanks for the advice Andy. I'm not quite sure what the material is either, it seems to be a tile-like composite. If anyone can tell me that would be great.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
www.inspectorzo.com

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

Hi Nathan,
I think this is a CemwoodŽ roof. I have not seen it in a few years and yours looks in pretty good shape.
Nonetheless, CemwoodŽ has had major legal problems and a class action suit was filed and won on behalf of homeowners.
If it is CemwoodŽ, there's plenty of money in the suit to help you replace the whole thing to a more reliable roof. The company is based in California, the suit was file here too, the lawyers are here as well. You should be able to find info on this quickly.
I'm not trying to give you false hope, I THINK THIS IS A CEMWOODŽ ROOF.
Here are a couple links to help you out:
http://inspectapedia.com/roof/Cemwood_Roof.htm
http://inspectapedia.com/roof/Cemwoo...ent_Notice.pdf
http://inspectapedia.com/roof/Masonite_Lawsuit.pdf
Please post back here after you know for sure.
Good luck,

InspectorZo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan356 View Post
I recently did an inspection of my roof from the outside and I can see several places where I have cracked tiles as well as tiles that are "lifting". Obviously the cracked tiles need to be replaced, but what about the lifting ones, what is the proper way to fix these, and how much lifting is acceptable? See attached pictures for reference. Can anyone provide a ballpark estimate for what this kind of repair would cost? It's a 1700 sq ft, single story house, simple cross gable, with part of the ceiling vaulted but everywhere there is an attic. There is no evidence of any leaking from inside the attic or inside the house. Thanks for the help!
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
Metal Roofing

I think its a plastic, can't recall the name atm.

Mira vista. By Owens Corning. That would be my guess, unless you can slide one out and look at the back i can't be sure.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 04-26-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Fist of all, I do not get the way they installed these tiles. Some photos look like they staggered the exposure a lot, and others appear hardle staggered at all. Since the shake like appearance stops, it would have looked a lot better to just run them straight IMHO.

I do not agree that the lifting is normal with a cementitios product. Wood, yes, as it warps. Cement, no. I think the lifting may be either inadequate space between tiles, so expansion and contraction is causing a pinch condition, or an improper type of fastener was used to install this roof. Tiles slipping out points to failed fasteners.

These appear to be quite thin for concrete tiles, and that could be the cause for breakage too.

If you do have nails backing out from thermal change repair is going to be difficult without breaking other tiles in the process. The relatively low slope is not going to help either, if a lift is used.

Repair would be similar to slate, using a slate ripper.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice on roof repair-ripperoverhead.jpg  

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Metal Roofing

In your first pic to the right of the vent pipe there is a broken roof tile. If you can take that peice down, flip it upside down and post the pic it will help identify it and determine what is right and wrong about your roof.

The lifting we are seeing is something that happens with the mira vista, it tends to curl up and is very brittle.

We are actually tearing off a Mira Vista in the next couple weeks to reroof with metal. I can't for the life of me find my pics i took of it, i will take some of the roof as we tear. You will see a very similar curling effect to what you have going on. Product identification is key to this, know what you got, and if its still available, will determine your fix.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
In your first pic to the right of the vent pipe there is a broken roof tile. If you can take that peice down, flip it upside down and post the pic it will help identify it and determine what is right and wrong about your roof.

The lifting we are seeing is something that happens with the mira vista, it tends to curl up and is very brittle.

We are actually tearing off a Mira Vista in the next couple weeks to reroof with metal. I can't for the life of me find my pics i took of it, i will take some of the roof as we tear. You will see a very similar curling effect to what you have going on. Product identification is key to this, know what you got, and if its still available, will determine your fix.
Ok experts, here it is! It looks like someone tried to hot glue this broken piece back together at some point .
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice on roof repair-p4270262.jpg   Looking for advice on roof repair-p4270265.jpg   Looking for advice on roof repair-p4270266.jpg  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
Metal Roofing

Well at least now you know what is isnt...Mira Vista.

I wouldnt mess with it, you very well could break more due to the uplift walking around to fix cracked ones.

If using the tool posted by Jagans to remove the broken tile, how would refasten any new pcs...you have no way to nail the back portion.

Id be interested to hear how this is done, i am sure there is a sop.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Slate hook
Attached Images

Advertisement

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote