Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
slave to the house

Share |

Little puddles of water...

I already know that this type of tile is not supposed to be installed at such a low slope, but what can be done now?

1. Drill holes in each tile
2. Top-fill with some sort of self-leveling epoxy
3. Remove middle tiles and redo 80% of the roof
4. Remove all tiles and start over
5. Do nothing. Ponds eventually dry up
6. Other ideas?
KCnorthernCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

HOLY COW! Whoever installed those ought to be shot, then hung!

That's the wrong product for that application. Whatever you do, other than changing them out, is like putting lipstick on a pig. I feel sorry for you. They actually look like they're pitched backwards. That's gotta be coming inside.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
renovations

That's one for the books, it has to come up, at least to the pitch break.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #4

How long has this roof been on?

or has it just been replaced?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
World famous jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
How long has this roof been on?

or has it just been replaced?
I was sorta wondering the same thing. It looks brand spanking new to me.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
registered

Wow its completely installed incorrectly. Futhermore that type of roof isn't cheap. Finally its all screwed up. Its overlapped inproperly and it is the wrong roof for your type of installation. I agree there is nothing to be done. Call a attorney and get your money back.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:33 PM   #7
I blame ProWallGuy

#7... Don't fix it yourself unless you're the nut behind the nailgun that installed this in the first place.

I'd contact an attorney for an opinion then the insurance company that this nitwit that installed it is insured with. Oh, and call them too, just to see if they're interested in making it right, but I don't think this guy is gonna answer his phone.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:09 AM   #8
slave to the house

By the way, the waterproofing system is not the tiles. Stone-granulated metal tiles that you see are just decorative. It matches existing. It's the Grace Ice & Water Shield underneath, covering every inch of the deck, that's supposed to protect the structure.

So aside from killing the guy who did it, what are some clever solutions? Any novel ideas?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #9
Commercial Roofing

Remove the tiles and in stall a low slope roofing system.

It is a sad state of affairs in this industry with all the "roofers" relying on the underlayments to waterproof steep slope systems. Granted some of the newer systems are designed this way, like steel tiles, but the lack of application knowledge and basic roofing fundamenatls have been kicked to the curb and the age of underlayments is in....too bad our society is so retarded....there have been roofs for thousands of years that had no IWS and were perfectly watertight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #10
slave to the house

Sure, the easiest solution if you don't have to worry about cost is to remove everything and start over. Thanks!

I suppose it's also too easy to make judgments on somebody's knowledge of roofing fundamentals without knowing the circumstances.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:49 AM   #11
Commercial Roofing

What circumstances are you referring to that dictate anyone leave the skill at the wayside and rely on the underlayments?

Are you looking for a solution or a band-aid? We dont do band-aids, sorry I couldnt help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #12
World famous jerk.

Allow me to translate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCnorthernCA View Post
I suppose it's also too easy to make judgments on somebody's knowledge of roofing fundamentals...
I did this myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCnorthernCA View Post
...without knowing the circumstances.
I didn't know how to do it any other way, or I plainly didn't care to do it another way.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #13

KCnorthernCA - did you install this roof or did a qualified roofer do the job?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #14
slave to the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
KCnorthernCA - did you install this roof or did a qualified roofer do the job?
My original question was in search of a creative solution at this time if not just a consensus on what to do. Yeah I'm always laughing at myself. But I'll tell you this -- I lost more than $900 after firing a so-called "qualified roofer" because his boasts of putting down a watertight torch-down system on this 200s.f. extension became downright dangerous at the valley gutter and skylight curb. THAT would have been a true disaster. Same offers from three other "qualified roofers." Probably the existing wood shake on skip sheathing under the existing metal and such a small area, just to name a few "circumstances," that scared them. So as it turned out, several "qualified roofers" skirmed and never returned my calls while others salivate with thoughts of a total kill on big game.

The only other realistic alternative, which was almost pursued, was to reroof the entire house -- but that would have been for just two posts with some plywood cover (?!), which actually becomes more expensive than you'd think because of a planned addition in the back next year.

Now we digress. Just what I thought. Oh well. Hope y'all are entertained.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #15

Tile roofs have to shed water, that roof would be considerd flat, it would be against code here in Massachusetts and the building department would make you rip it off. Ice shield is a great product but its not a magic bullett and dosnt supercede good roofing practice. there is no band aid for this one, and as they say "ignorance is no excuse."

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote