DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Liquid EPDM Rubber vs. EPDM 45-Mil Liner: Pros and Cons?

9K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm interested in comparing the pros/cons of liquid EPDM rubber roofing sealer (http://www.liquid-roof.com/index.html) and a 45-mil EPDM roof liner (e.g., http://www.direct2usales.com/LINER.HTM) to seal a flat roof.

Is there any advantage to the liquid EPDM rubber sealer vs. buying 45 mil EPDM roof liner?

I was comparing cost and there's a big difference in that the liner is way cheaper for my 20' x 40' flat part of my roof.

I'm wondering how thick the liquid sealer would end up being at recommended application vs. the 45 mil liner?

Anyway, I'm new to sealing and am trying to learn pros and cons of the different options. Also, how good is the UV resistance of EPDM?

If I go with the liner, is there any certain recommended type of adhesive that should be used on the underside to make it stick to the existing flat roof? Actually since the liner is only available in black I think it would be a good idea to coat it with something to make it white to reflect the sun (for heat), right? What would be appropriate to use for this?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
EPDM is also available in white. Check out your local ABC Roofing Supply Distributorship.

The coating is 100 % dependant upon ambient humidity levels at the time of application and temperatures and consistency af the application thicknesses and many other nature and human considerations outside of your control.

The EPDM has an adhesive for a fully adhered application and a different product for bonding the seams together, if you have any on your situation.

Also, some materials require a lap sealant to be applied after the seams are bonded together.

PHP:
Is there any advantage to the liquid EPDM rubber sealer vs. buying 45 mil EPDM roof liner?
NO!

Ed

#3 ·
I doubt there would be seams based on it seems EPDM is usually available in 25' widths and I only need 20' width.

Do you know what manufacturer makes the white EPDM roof liner? I went to Firestones site and read everything I could find on EPDM they produce but saw no white, all black, and saw them selling their own 10-year acrylic white product to paint on top of their black EPDM.

#4 ·
Carlisle and Versico are the only two I am familiar with, but I think that Mule Hide may have had a white epdm membrane at one time, but it may have been a different membrane compostition I am thinking about.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.