DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Leaky Roof Repairs

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  redline 
#1 ·
Hi - I'm new to this forum - thanks in advance for any assistance.

I have found 2 leaks in what is a best guess estimate of a 8-10 year old roof - from talking to neighbors - I just bought the house.

The leaks ocurred during a wind driven rainstorm. One leak is around the vent cap and the other is near the middle of a small section of shallow pitch roof. This area (approx 8 X 10) has a ton of water running over it during storms - sheds from an upper roof across this section. Yes - I'm addressing this issue as well. Not sure exactly where the leak is occurring in this area - no attic access and can not see any obvious problem on the roof - believe the leak happened when the wind drove the rain underneath one of the shingle lips

I was planning on using silicone sealant around the vent pipe as well as a GEOCEL product (either 2315 leak repair or Instant roof repair) to patch around the cap and over the shallow pitched roof area - especially under the edges of the shingles. the Geocel stuff sounds decent (stays pliable b ut won't run)

Anyone have luck using these products?

Since I just bought the house and have all of the accompanying bills that go along with that I'd like to try to patch the roof and try to get a couple of years out of it.

Tried getting a roofer to come and take a look to patch these areas but no one wants to come to do a patch as its their silly season - only a complete new roof.

Thanks

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.