Leaky Roof In Rental Apartment. Please Help - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

leaky roof in rental apartment. please help

first let me say this our fault so i need to fix it. the apartment is a converted garage. i dont know too much about the material but i know there is sheetrock on the ceiling, insulation between the sheetrock and then the actual roof. there are shingles on the roof as well.

my son managed to make a hole through the sheetrock all the way through and out the roof. this happened about 5 weeks ago. the hole is about 3/4inch wide. he patched the sheetrock and painted over the hole so noone would notice and didnt tell me. well i guess he didnt realize the hole went all the way through.

this morning it was raining extremely hard and when i woke up there was a bubble about 9 inches long and 6 inches wide in the paint almost 2 feet from the original hole. i popped the bubble to get the water out and i tried to sqeeze out as much water as i could with a putty knife.

what should i do here? i plan on patching the roof with roofing cement and replacing the shingle. should i be worried about any water that is still soaked into the insulation? will that eventually dry out? will the sheetrock dry too? i need some help here please

Advertisement

bentz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

It depends on how wet the gypsum got in the sheet of drywall.

Too wet and it will remain mushy, but if it is just the surface, some scraping of the wet compound can be done and then patch with the appropriate compound if a large area and just spackle if it is a small area.

The shingle replacement needs to be done ASAP, to prevent this from occurring again, but you probably do not need the roofing cement if you remove the nails from the next course of shingles above the one needing replacement and also the nails from the actual shingle getting replaced.

I would not worry too much about the hole in the roof sheathing, as long as it is the size you described, or smaller.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. if the hole occured 5 weeks ago and it has been raining a decent amount since then and today is the first time i noticed this, do u think there has been a lot of water accumulating in there and todays rain just pushed it over the top?

i had to leave for work this morning so i just popped the bubble, let it drain into a bucket and squeezed out all i could. ill be home later.

ill be patching this hole tomorrow. im not worried about the repair process but im worried about left over water inside the ceiling. should i be concered about that after i patch the hole? will it dry out by itself? should i worry about mold?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

How do you put a 3/4" hole right thru sheetrock AND sheathing?

Drill?

Bullet hole?

Is there access to the attic?
Any where to put a dehumidifier?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
How do you put a 3/4" hole right thru sheetrock AND sheathing?

Drill?

Bullet hole?

Is there access to the attic?
Any where to put a dehumidifier?
yea it was a bullet hole. i havent actually seen the roof yet but im hoping the hole on the outiside isnt much bigger then the inside. there is no attic. its just a converted garage livingroom with a flat slightly slanted roof and nothing on top of it. i have a dehumidifer option on the airconditioner
Old 07-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #6

which one of these should i use for the roof?

Rubberized Wet & Dry Asphalt Flashing Cement
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100238201

Asphalt Flashing Cement
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100257533

Wet Or Dry Roof Cement
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100250376
Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Do the patch while it's dry and warm and use the Asphalt Flashing Cement.

Don't try doing it in the hottest part of the day tho, either mid morning or early evening would be best.

Advertisement

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote