Leaky Roof? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaky roof?

Hello,

This weekend I did a check on my roof from the attic. I was surprised to see some suspicious leaky issues, photos are attached below. The roof in question was bit far away from where I could take the shots so I personally could not see that very clearly. And also pardon me for the not-so-good-quality pictures due to the lighting issues. As I am a newbie to homes (moved to this new townhouse 3 years ago and never have had a chance to check the roof till now), I am seeking some professional explanations and advice.

1. Is this a leaky roof? (leak due to construction deficiency)
2. Can moisture from beneath the ceiling also result in the same symptom?

I initially wanted to crawl close to the roof but I was concerned about my personal safety (the attic was narrow and with low clearance). Is the ceiling strong enough to hold my weight should I step on it?

Thanks very much,
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky roof?-1.jpg   Leaky roof?-2.jpg   Leaky roof?-3.jpg   Leaky roof?-4.jpg   Leaky roof?-6.jpg  

Leaky roof?-5.jpg  

Advertisement

rockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,018

Leaky roof?

I would recommend checking directly below where that roof area is.

If you can access that area, I would recommend putting a shallow pan there to catch the water, or, if you can access that area during a rainstorm, see if the insulation is wet.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Leaky roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets View Post
Hello,

This weekend I did a check on my roof from the attic. I was surprised to see some suspicious leaky issues, photos are attached below. The roof in question was bit far away from where I could take the shots so I personally could not see that very clearly. And also pardon me for the not-so-good-quality pictures due to the lighting issues. As I am a newbie to homes (moved to this new townhouse 3 years ago and never have had a chance to check the roof till now), I am seeking some professional explanations and advice.

1. Is this a leaky roof? (leak due to construction deficiency)
2. Can moisture from beneath the ceiling also result in the same symptom?

I initially wanted to crawl close to the roof but I was concerned about my personal safety (the attic was narrow and with low clearance). Is the ceiling strong enough to hold my weight should I step on it?

Thanks very much,
Was something wet? I can't tell from the picture. If it was raining and you see wet spots, you probably have a leak. If there's just a stain, it could have come from a previously repaired leak or the staining could have occurred during construction.

Moisture could be coming from the living space if the bath/kitchen fans are not vented to the outside properly.

The ceiling is not strong enough to support you. Step on the framing members or take some boards up there to span between the trusses.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Leaky roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Was something wet? I can't tell from the picture. If it was raining and you see wet spots, you probably have a leak. If there's just a stain, it could have come from a previously repaired leak or the staining could have occurred during construction.

Moisture could be coming from the living space if the bath/kitchen fans are not vented to the outside properly.

The ceiling is not strong enough to support you. Step on the framing members or take some boards up there to span between the trusses.
My thoughts also. Another sure sign that your have improper ventilated bath/kitchen fans is rusted nails...and it looks like those nails are a bit rusty.
MrConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote