Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

Share |

Leaky gutters

This was last night when it was raining.....
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky gutters-leaky-gutters.jpg  

Fly_on_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

Leaky gutters

....and this is the top of the gutters in the morning. From my understanding, I would need to use a sealant. Which sealant would I need to use?
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky gutters-top-gutters.jpg  

Fly_on_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #3

Leaky gutters

Something marked specifically as a gutter sealant at any local big box store, not just any old caulk. SIKA and GECOCELL are two of the many brands that will do the job. If there were just a few drips or a minor trickle you could probably get away with getting up on a ladder, scraping away whatever caulk you can, cleaning the area, checking to make sure all the fasteners were tight, and re-sealing.

Looks like you have quite a disaster there. What I would do rather than trying to clean up and re-seal all that gunk is to un-fasten the whole end piece and outlet from the elbow that leads to the down spout and from the gutter hanger. Go to home depot and pay about 25 or 30 dollars for a new end piece with outlet, an end cap, some gutter screws, and the sealant. Put some sealant over each end of the end piece and around the outside of the outlet. Screw the end cap back on, then fasten the new end section to the hanger and to the next section of gutter. Go over the tops of seams with one more bead of sealant that is smoothed over carefully so it doesn't trap water.

Put more sealant over all the holes where the fasteners will go too. Make sure the part of the end section that connects to the longer section of gutter goes UNDERNEATH that section like the one that is on there now. Make sure the outlet goes INSIDE the top of the elbow rather than inside. Make sure everything matches up tightly and then put a couple screws on each side of the gutter but none right in the bottom. Water that sits there after rains will eventually work its way through a bottom screw hole and leak out. Tighten everything up, let the sealant dry, then test for leaks with a water hose.

Last edited by eharri3; 12-28-2013 at 02:26 PM.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #4

Leaky gutters

Looks like the down spout plugged up to me to have that much over flow.
bbo (12-29-2013), Windows on Wash (12-29-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #5

Leaky gutters

Good point, and a real possibility. But in my opinion a repair to that end section will still need to be done, as the water pressure was enough to blow out those seams and probably loosen some fasteners judging by the amount of water that got out. If they were in good condition and stayed that way most of the water would have gone over the top of the gutter rather than coming out of the joints.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Metal Roofing

Leaky gutters

That is a lot of water.

The outlet is not sealed but that doesn't account for the volume of leakage, I think Joe's on the right track...probably a plugged down spout.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Leaky gutters

+1

Plugged downspout to be sure. See it coming out of the seams on the DS. There is no sealant specified for that joint and it shouldn't be coming out of there.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote