DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Leaky apron flashing below dormer

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
I am having a roof leak, so I went up to the attic and saw water dripping from a gap between roof boards about a quarter inch downhill from a nail that is sticking through the board. It turns out the nail is securing the apron flashing below the front of a dormer (see picture), so I am assuming the water is infiltrating the flashing and shingles on the nail, then flowing in through the gap in boards just downhill.

I am a first-time homeowner and have no experience with roofing, so how should I fix this? Is it as simple as sealing the nail and nail hole with roofing cement? Do I need to peel up the flashing and shingles to get all the way down to wood and seal each layer with cement? Also, should the bottom edge of the flashing in the picture be sealed with anything, or is that supposed to be unsealed to let any water that gets beneath it drain out?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Only caulk the nail! I'd put a dab under the flashing after pulling that nail to seal that specific spot only, before adding a new one, then caulk the new nail head. You probably need to 'toenail' the new one in, at an angle to either side you prefer.
What...is there an echo in here.

Oh...I get it. Because Tinner says it...it must be right.

What...am I chopped liver!!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

#10 ·
I just verified with a water hose - that is definitely where the leak is coming from. One last question - should the edge of that flashing be sealed with caulk, or is it supposed to be open to let anything that gets under there drain?
Only caulk the nail! I'd put a dab under the flashing after pulling that nail to seal that specific spot only, before adding a new one, then caulk the new nail head. You probably need to 'toenail' the new one in, at an angle to either side you prefer.

#14 ·
Unless it keeps leaking then sue them for misinformation!

I say put a dab of caulk under the flashing in the location of the nail hole. Add a new nail at a slight angle, up down left right doesn't matter just so you hit new wood and the nail will hold. Then caulk the nail head. Use a good caulking, not silicone, that is for bathrooms, get a urethane caulk like NP-1. There are other brands but that's what we use the chemical make up is more important then the brand.

Now that will be $37.95 PM me for where you can send the check!

:laughing:

#16 ·
Not to change the subject....lol. does that flashing extend under/above/behind that siding bottom edge... do I see a definite horizontal line 1/4" below the siding that is full of old caulking (that is NA if extended behind)?

Gary

#17 ·
That dirty white board I think you're referring to is basically a window sill tilted at an angle to drain water away from the window, and then the flashing tucks up underneath it (part of the flashing is painted the house's yellowish color to blend in). The caulk looks solid and the sill should carry water well away from the top edge of the flashing, I think. Does something not look right to you? I might as well goop that edge up with extra caulk, I guess.

#18 ·
Ah, the window, as pictured... lol. I would install a 1/4 round trim of cedar under the window sill, bedded in new caulking (after removing old). then add a bead of caulk on the bottom edge of vertical edge there for a drip-edge so water doesn't travel under/back to the trim board (similar to on a deck ledger board bottom to keep water from house siding wicking). Look much better, also. OTOH, if not leaking there, leave it be.

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.