Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaking water when rain heavily outside.

When raining heavily and strong wind blows, water leaking through one of the potlights casing in our family room on the main floor, above the family room is our bathroom, we had reroofed 2006 and installed a turbine fan on top. Please advise me what could it be? THANK YOU.

tingmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Its more than likely a roof leakIt could be a number of things.Too hard to say without looking

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnk For This Useful Post:
tingmelon (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingmelon View Post
When raining heavily and strong wind blows, water leaking through one of the potlights casing in our family room on the main floor, above the family room is our bathroom, we had reroofed 2006 and installed a turbine fan on top. Please advise me what could it be? THANK YOU.
The only way to figure this out is to go into the attic during and after a rainstorm to do the inspection. This may require several visits, before and after the fix.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handy man88 For This Useful Post:
tingmelon (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #4

Thanks for your advise, for sure will check the attic next heavy rain
Old 11-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 518

Turbines are notorious for wind-blown rain infiltration. If you can, secure a garbage bag over it and see if that fixes it. Hate those things.
If it is directly over the leak, look in the attic for water streaks on the inside of the turbine flange.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
tingmelon (11-28-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
The only way to figure this out is to go into the attic during and after a rainstorm to do the inspection. This may require several visits, before and after the fix.
Well its not the only way.I can usually find on the roof after knowing general location.The first thing I would look at is any protusion in that general location,such as whirly-bird.Alot of 'roofers' don't install them right,they always have that extra little 'wee' part.If I must install them,I always silicone joints on inside.I as well hate those things,as ONB staed they are prone to water,snow infiltration.
tingmelon (11-28-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Well its not the only way.I can usually find on the roof after knowing general location.The first thing I would look at is any protusion in that general location,such as whirly-bird.Alot of 'roofers' don't install them right,they always have that extra little 'wee' part.If I must install them,I always silicone joints on inside.I as well hate those things,as ONB staed they are prone to water,snow infiltration.
It's the only way, unless you're willing to get on the roof, which many people aren't.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for your advise, for sure will check the attic next heavy rain
I would also suggest checking after a light rain. Just because the rain isn't heavy doesn't imply that water is not getting in. Your leaking could be disguised by insulation soaking up the water.

That's one drawback for people who elect for cellulose insulation. Recycled newspapers absorb moisture, which will prevent the homeowner from knowing about leaks unless they are really bad, or the water soaks through all the cellulose insulation, which renders it rock hard.

Therefore, I also suggest checking the insulation directly below the roof penetration, and possibly set up a flat pan directly under to catch water so that you can tell instantly when you get into the attic. The attic is a very unpleasant place, especially if it's not designed such that you can walk around easily.
tingmelon (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
It's the only way, unless you're willing to get on the roof, which many people aren't.
Yeah sometimes I forget I'm giving advice to a h/o.It must be my roofers instinct to head right to the roof
Old 11-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #10

And I hate going in attics
tingmelon (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #11

Do you think the roofer who installed the roof will come and check it out and find the leak in the attic, or I should have someone else.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #12

Why the leak was not on the top floor ceiling, only leaked on the main floor ceiling? That's very odd to me.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Usually, when I track down a weather-related leak which "skips" a floor, I find that the water is traveling down a plumbing or chimney chase from a incorrectly sealed roof penetration or chimney.

Here's an example, follow the link below the picture for the full account of the cause of this leak and how it was eventually found as it's too long to post here:

Using infrared imaging to find roof (ceiling) leaks that skip floors – Paragon infrared inspections – Chicago / Evanston / Morton Grove

(That's beta version of the new web site, so many links off that page will not yet work properly, but I don't have the material up anywhere else)

Even with tools like infrared cameras and moisture meters this kind of leak can be difficult to track down based on where the water appears at the ceiling.

I frequently encounter water at ceiling surfaces which has traveled substantial distances either above the finished surface of the ceiling or within the drywall itself, usually within the joint compound at a drywall seam.

For example at this ceiling below water from a defective seal where a drain passed through the roof sheathing traveled around 15 feet along the drain line – including past the 2x4” support, before it dripped down onto the ceiling below:

and traveled 4 feet to the right of the drain line, at the opening nearest the center of the room:

For such reasons it's often easiest to track these leaks from above if you have attic access; next time you have a heavy rain check the all roof penetrations at the underside of the roof surface - the chances are good that you will detect evidence of staining at the roof sheathing or find wetted insulation below the leak.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 11-22-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Thomas For This Useful Post:
Ed the Roofer (11-28-2010), tingmelon (11-28-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,194

If you’re unwilling to get in or on your roof, call the roofer.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
tingmelon (11-28-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Do you think the roofer who installed the roof will come and check it out and find the leak in the attic, or I should have someone else.
When did this leaking start?

Since you reroofed and had the turbine installed in 2006, if it was coming through the turbine itself, you should have seen water coming through as soon as the next heavy rain.

It it only recently started to leak, then that would point to flashing, sealant, shingles, etc. Did your roofer use weather/ice shield over the flashing?

I think during the next rain, when you see the leak, it'll allow you to better narrow down the issue.

tingmelon (11-28-2010)