Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #1

Share |

Leaking vent pipe?

We have had continual problems with wet drywall near our shower.

Finally just tiled it to keep shower spray off.

Then the nearby door molding started to swell with water.

called a plumber. He attached a meter to the house and said we don't have any foundation leaks. Took off the shower handle and looked at the pipe leading to the shower head inside the wall. No leak there either. He suggested that it was a leaking vent pipe.

Called a roofer. He went up on the roof, looked at the area, found a loose nail. Hammered it in and caulked. This was on a rainy day, so it was easy for him to see the leak. He says the roof is in good shape, and does not need to be replaced, looked around for loose shingles and other caulking and could not find any. I figure that seeing as he makes his living by doing new roofs I don't need a new roof.

Now it rained all yesterday, and the door frame molding is wet again. Any other possibilities? Should I go up and look around the vent pipe? Call the roofer back? Call another roofer?
emylime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #2

Leaking vent pipe?

Where is the door ?
Exterior door ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Leaking vent pipe?

Pics help a lot... from inside, the locale of the pipe in relation to the wet door, and of the roof taking into account the location of all said items.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Leaking vent pipe?

The first picture shows the wet molding on the interior door

The second picture shows it's relation to the shower and window

the third picture shows the vent pipe in relation to the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking vent pipe?-dscf2294.jpg   Leaking vent pipe?-dscf2295.jpg   Leaking vent pipe?-dscf2296.jpg  
Old 04-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #5

Leaking vent pipe?

I would remove the door casing to look for wetness higher up.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

Leaking vent pipe?

The vent pipe appears to run up the outside wall if those are that same two windows. You might be leaking from the shower as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #7

Leaking vent pipe?

it looks like either way taking apart the door casing will give more info?
Old 04-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Shut in w/o Home

Leaking vent pipe?

Check the condition of the neoprene gasket on the WV boot.

I've also found dry PVC joints in the attic. How they passed a pressure test is beyond me.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #9

Leaking vent pipe?

I'm afraid I don't know what a WV boot is, nor the neo??
Old 04-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Shut in w/o Home

Leaking vent pipe?

WV boot = Waste Vent boot. The flashing at the roof line around your waste vent pipe. The neoprene gasket hugs the pipe and keeps water from flowing on the outside of the pipe. The gasket is degradable by UV rays and will crack in time allowing water to run in down the outside of the pipe.

edit: The way to test for an unglued joint in the waste vent line is to stick a garden hose in the vent pipe and let it run. If you get the same leakage that you're seeing during rain, that's what the problem is.

Last edited by seeyou; 04-24-2010 at 06:59 PM.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #11

Leaking vent pipe?

Took apart the door casing. The wetness is about 8 inches up. Took off the molding. The wetness extends to the shower and about 2 inches beyond on behind the shower. Tomorrow my friend and I will knock a hole in the wall and see what there is to see. I really doubt it is the vent pipe at this point. Why would a vent pipe only leak so close to the ground? So this probably doesn't belong in roofing anymore. My guess that it is the shower. One of two options the first being that the plumber didn't know what he was doing and there is a leaking pipe. The second guess is that the plastic base of the shower has a small hole.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Commercial Roofing

Leaking vent pipe?

OR.... could be that your shower door frame is not sealed to the base anymore...

Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #13

Leaking vent pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emylime View Post
Took apart the door casing. The wetness is about 8 inches up. Took off the molding. The wetness extends to the shower and about 2 inches beyond on behind the shower. Tomorrow my friend and I will knock a hole in the wall and see what there is to see. I really doubt it is the vent pipe at this point. Why would a vent pipe only leak so close to the ground? So this probably doesn't belong in roofing anymore. My guess that it is the shower. One of two options the first being that the plumber didn't know what he was doing and there is a leaking pipe. The second guess is that the plastic base of the shower has a small hole.
Congrats you are narrowing it down.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foundation, leak, plumber, roof