DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   [Leaking Roof] How Do I Remove Old Mastic/elastomeric Coating? (

plasticslug 01-26-2013 05:34 PM

[Leaking Roof] How Do I Remove Old Mastic/elastomeric Coating?
So I purchased a gallon of Henrys Masic and I want to apply it to my two leaking penetrations at my home...

When trying to remove the old Mastic its pretty solid.

1. How much of the original mastic do I need to remove?
2. Should I take a hammer and chisel to it or is there a chemical I can use to soften old mastic.

Photos<a href=http://im.../Oo9Z2</a>.jpg

tinner666 01-26-2013 06:22 PM

Pix would help. mastic usually lead to leaking issues. Maybe it all needs to be removed and the penetrations need to be flashed instead.

joecaption 01-26-2013 06:29 PM

Is this for real?
You need to now remove all of that and do it over right.
That dish cable and bracket should never have been mounted on the roof or run down through the roof like that!!!

AndyWRS 01-26-2013 10:55 PM

For god sake dont do that, have it flashed properly. It looks like an AC line to me, but either way it needs a flashing not what you are proposing.

joecaption 01-26-2013 11:01 PM

I've been in home repair for over 40 years and have not use a gal. of roofing tar in my whole life, take it back and just buy one caulking tube of it to put under the new flashings.

jagans 01-28-2013 12:06 PM

You need a Portals Plus penetration flashing, not roof cement, and you need a roofer that understands headlap, and that a properly flashed penetration on a steep roof requires no roof cement. Google Portals Plus.

QualityRoofing 01-30-2013 09:22 PM

Wow, please call a roofer and have them fix this. Putting goop over the problem will only stop the leak temporarily, it will eventually crack and leak again. Call a roofer and have them install flashing on the pipe boot, I'm not sure what the other extrusion on the roof is, pretty sure it doesn't belong on he roof thou.

Quality Exteriors of CT

jagans 01-31-2013 01:45 AM

What you have is roofing or flashing cement, coated with aluminum coating on a seal tite cable and a thermostat wire.

A really good way to handle this is to put a 3 inch PVC pipe up through the roof, and strap it to the top chord of the truss or rafter and an additional brace with Ubolts. Install a rubber All-Vent on the pipe, then glue a return bend or two street Els on the end of the pipe so the end points down. Run your lines through, and foam the end of the pipe.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1